What are pasture leasing rates for your state?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wanted to ask pasture leasing rates for your states?

My state is somewhat overprice in a lot of things. And I stumbled upon the idea that you don't need to own the land to start up, and in fact could even avoid it entirely, and avoid a lot of the high priced items if you are serious about some things.

I don't understand what lease rates should be at, because when you actually put this in a website, they keep trying to give you terms like for someone that wants to build or run factories or stores. lol....and those are entirely different rates.

And when you do see rates like this or people quoting them, you can't tell if they are quoting per month or per year part of the time.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
For tillable farm land it varies. Most people will lease out for the coast of yearly property taxes others figure a cost per month and see if they can get it.

For hunting land leases that is almost always a set amount the owner wants, often here it is about $150/month.

There are also restrictions for us. In michigan if you lease land and make any improvements to the land at all you are entitled to the lease for 10yrs. Improvements could be a fence, a building, plowing and plantings, etc. You can also often free lease small plots here if you only want to cut hay. We free lease a 27acre plot, they just want the hay kept cut.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For tillable farm land it varies. Most people will lease out for the coast of yearly property taxes others figure a cost per month and see if they can get it.

For hunting land leases that is almost always a set amount the owner wants, often here it is about $150/month.

There are also restrictions for us. In michigan if you lease land and make any improvements to the land at all you are entitled to the lease for 10yrs. Improvements could be a fence, a building, plowing and plantings, etc. You can also often free lease small plots here if you only want to cut hay. We free lease a 27acre plot, they just want the hay kept cut.
Very nice. Thanks for your comment.

How do you find opportunities like this?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH happened to run into the owner and he knew we did hay so asked if we would wanna free lease it to keep it cut for him. We used to do several small chunks like 4-20 acres and total almost 120 acres/year all on a free lease or hay shares depending. We used to put ads on CL to find people who wanted to free lease small parcels in exchange for keeping it cut or hay shares.