What are the friendliest breeds of cattle?

MarkJr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Angus, Dexter, Jersey, Brahma, Highland

I've had all of these tame enough to scratch all over.

I personally prefer them to come running when I shake a bucket..... but leary enough to be able to move/work them. Mommas seem to have less tendency to rip you to pieces handling a fresh calf (still can't bring myself to trust my girls) but are still jumpy enough to be able to keep them at bay.

My favorite bull was a 1400lb Dexter with scur horns. I'd walk up to him laying down in the field and start scratching his head. He'd wind up stretched out on his side, eyes rolled back and tongue stuck out. LOVED his scratches.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is the purpose of a cow for a pet? Do you have alot of land that needs to be grazed? Do you have an understanding of how much a cow eats? What would be the plans for disposing of a 1,000 lb animal if it gets sick and dies? Cattle life spans are 10-20 years on the average.... It costs at least $2.00 per day MINIMUM to feed a cow... that is figuring in grazing..... Double that if you are buying feed all the time. A cow needs at least an acre to be able to get out and exercise and do "cow things".... and they do not particularly like being kept alone. They are a herd animal.
If you are thinking milk then a smaller breed would be better for a smaller family and needing less room than a full sized animal. That said, a milking animal will require more and better feed than just a dry animal or a steer; in order to produce milk.
Are you equipped to handle an animal that outweighs you 4 or 5 times.... If you weigh 200 lbs and a cow weighs 800 that is 4 x your weight.... and they are stronger than that if they want to "show themselves".

I have no experience with Dexters. Jerseys are the smaller of the common dairy breeds. I have known and had very friendly cows of nearly every dairy breed and had some real B#$@H's too. I like my jerseys and guernseys. Dutch belteds are nice and the Linebacks I have been around are very mild mannered.
Beef, I would say that Herefords are a quieter breed. We have alot of angus and get along well with them. Friend has highlands and they are self sufficient and quietbut you have to be aware of the horns. I have had several belted galloway and they have all been very mellow.
If you want a pet for only that then get a steer. No hormones to deal with. BULLS ARE OUT. NOT FOR A NOVICE. Cows are hormonal when they come into heat and can be aggressive or get out going looking for male company.

You can make a cow into a "pet" and still have a productive animal. But you have got to understand the purpose of a cow and the limitations. For the most part you can't ride them like a horse, although there are cows that have been ridden. They can be halter broke and trained... but if they don't want to do what you want, you are not going to make them. Goats and sheep are in the 100-200 lb range for full size ones, and they can be more of a handful for a full grown person.... you will not stop a full size sheep or goat that is determined to go the other way just by brute strength. They are more likely to be "tamed" and trained to do what you want if you start with a young one. They weigh 5-10 lbs at birth and 50 lbs or so when weaned from their mother. A baby calf is going to weigh 75-100 lbs at birth and can be taught alot.... but they will weigh 4-600 lbs by 8 months and then they go through their "teenage" stage..... and don't just look at pictures of kids showing their animals at a fair and think how tame they are. Any self respecting and HONEST kid will tell you how many times they have been drug across the lot, how many times an animal has pulled the lead rope out of their hands, how many times they have gotten out loose and been a PITA to catch.... and that if they step on their foot and won't get off and you can't push them over....to get your foot out from under......
My suggestion is find a 4-H or an FFA group. Volunteer to help... get around animals and see if you even like them up close and personal. Experience some of the daily stuff.....and get to know what goes into the day to day....

merrikbush

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What is the purpose of a cow for a pet? Do you have alot of land that needs to be grazed? Do you have an understanding of how much a cow eats? What would be the plans for disposing of a 1,000 lb animal if it gets sick and dies? Cattle life spans are 10-20 years on the average.... It costs at least $2.00 per day MINIMUM to feed a cow... that is figuring in grazing..... Double that if you are buying feed all the time. A cow needs at least an acre to be able to get out and exercise and do "cow things".... and they do not particularly like being kept alone. They are a herd animal.
If you are thinking milk then a smaller breed would be better for a smaller family and needing less room than a full sized animal. That said, a milking animal will require more and better feed than just a dry animal or a steer; in order to produce milk.
Are you equipped to handle an animal that outweighs you 4 or 5 times.... If you weigh 200 lbs and a cow weighs 800 that is 4 x your weight.... and they are stronger than that if they want to "show themselves".

I have no experience with Dexters. Jerseys are the smaller of the common dairy breeds. I have known and had very friendly cows of nearly every dairy breed and had some real B#$@H's too. I like my jerseys and guernseys. Dutch belteds are nice and the Linebacks I have been around are very mild mannered.
Beef, I would say that Herefords are a quieter breed. We have alot of angus and get along well with them. Friend has highlands and they are self sufficient and quietbut you have to be aware of the horns. I have had several belted galloway and they have all been very mellow.
If you want a pet for only that then get a steer. No hormones to deal with. BULLS ARE OUT. NOT FOR A NOVICE. Cows are hormonal when they come into heat and can be aggressive or get out going looking for male company.

You can make a cow into a "pet" and still have a productive animal. But you have got to understand the purpose of a cow and the limitations. For the most part you can't ride them like a horse, although there are cows that have been ridden. They can be halter broke and trained... but if they don't want to do what you want, you are not going to make them. Goats and sheep are in the 100-200 lb range for full size ones, and they can be more of a handful for a full grown person.... you will not stop a full size sheep or goat that is determined to go the other way just by brute strength. They are more likely to be "tamed" and trained to do what you want if you start with a young one. They weigh 5-10 lbs at birth and 50 lbs or so when weaned from their mother. A baby calf is going to weigh 75-100 lbs at birth and can be taught alot.... but they will weigh 4-600 lbs by 8 months and then they go through their "teenage" stage..... and don't just look at pictures of kids showing their animals at a fair and think how tame they are. Any self respecting and HONEST kid will tell you how many times they have been drug across the lot, how many times an animal has pulled the lead rope out of their hands, how many times they have gotten out loose and been a PITA to catch.... and that if they step on their foot and won't get off and you can't push them over....to get your foot out from under......
My suggestion is find a 4-H or an FFA group. Volunteer to help... get around animals and see if you even like them up close and personal. Experience some of the daily stuff.....and get to know what goes into the day to day....
I've been wondering same about getting a "pet" rescue cow for my backyard farm (I have alpacas, chickens, and now looking for pygmy goats). This is very illuminating--and a reality check. Thank you.

The Farming Carpenter

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
One day in the [possibly distant] future, I hope to own a couple cows.

So, I'm curious what the friendliest breeds of cattle are?
we did white faced heifers' years ago and always had good luck. Make sure they have plenty of grazing and they seen to stay contained. I am getting back into next spring. Just cleared the old pasture from years of growth and need to save up for fencing. We always had post with boards and cattle steel fencing.
Good luck

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mini Cattle are an option. Zebu are what I had. I just sold ALL of my cows to pay twice as much for more later just to get more gentle cows. Remember even miniature cattle are strong enough to run your a$$ over. The dexter's can be milked or ate. Zebu I wouldn't milk.
I got them for use as mini oxen to pull carts. Haven't achieved that yet.

All gentle breeds can be mean and/or hard to handle. Like Brahma's they are known as the mean Rodeo bull while in other countries they are very domesticated and used for transportation and plowing fields.
If you are not comfortable with your choice take it to the sale or butcher before you get hurt. There are more out their.

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
In my opinion, there isn't really 'tame breeds', but I think any breed will become tame if you spend lots of time with them. If you're looking to get a cow just for the purpose of a pet, maybe get a bird ;) If you would also like milk from it, but do not want huge amounts, consider maybe a Dexter, or mini Jersey. Even if they are your milk animals they can still become tame like a pet, but to get one just for being there, isn't very profitable; its draining. Sorry to sound so awful, but I don't want to see you get one for a pet, then eat you out of house and home.
Hope, you end up getting cattle, they're awesome!