What are the friendliest breeds of cattle?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have had a few that are crazy but the majority are docile. I think there are always expectations. Little Lady our calf is normally very loving but can have a bad day from time to time she a teenager at the moment so not to shocking there.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Holsteins are one of the biggest dairy breeds, eat alot and require a fair amount of added feed in order to produce a decent amount of milk. They have been bred that way for many, many years. Do some serious research on them and the amount of feed. I have several 1/2 holsteins and have nothing against them. Just make sure of what you are getting into. They are not near as good a "grazer" cow as say a jersey or an ayshire. If you can find something that is a swedish red, or norweigan red cross, or a montebeliarde cross they are good milkers of higher butterfat and have a much better stocky build so their calves have more meat on the carcass...Also a lineback cross makes a good "dual purpose type with them carrying more "body".

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I tell you we have two holstein calves we got from the auction, they are now about 7 months old and there is no way I could stop them if I wanted too. Even when they were 2.5 months old they could and did pull me over. I am only 5' 4" and I am used to handling very large sheep like 200-300lbs but the calves I was no match for even that young. The calves have so far been well behaved but I am under no illusion that they can't or wont stomp me into the ground if they feel like it. The only thing that separates me from the calves when it is grain time is a page wire fence and I am very aware of that, they get their grain quickly so there is never a temptation for them to test the fence as they could realistically walk over it. They are not pets, they are for meat period. My grandparents had a diary farm until I was 20yrs old and I spent a lot of time there, I would never have a pet Holstein.

I would agree with looking into a mini breed like a mini jersey. Keep in mind mini doesnt mean safe, a mini is any jersey under 42" tall at the hip bone at 3yrs old and are 500-800lbs which is still enough to seriously hurt or kill a person. There are "purebred" mini jerseys but any jersey fitting the above requirements is a mini. Stay away from cow that dont look proportionate as they likely have dwarfism and you dont want to deal with that. Added bonus is mini's usually only need 1/2 to 1/3 the amount of food and room. All the info I have on mini's is from research, I have not owned or worked with them personally.

GoateeMcfee

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
One day in the [possibly distant] future, I hope to own a couple cows.

So, I'm curious what the friendliest breeds of cattle are?
I don't have any myself (right now, I most likely have one in late April if all goes accordingly), but everything I hear says that Jerseys are the friendliest.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you bottle raise/hand raise most any calf will be friendly. Jerseys are friendly over all..... but do not keep a jersey bull calf intact..... band or cut as a baby.... they are more aggressive and unpredictable of the dairy bulls. I have a couple farmers that have holsteins that want to practically climb in your pocket.
Jerseys are smaller, and quicker, and can be tempermental.
I would say of all the dairy breeds I have had, and been around, my guernseys were the most laid back.... but the ones that are being bred today are more inbred and not the old style rawboned, family homestead milk cow.....I did have one that would take it in her mind to go on a I'll kick and kill you rant every couple of weeks.... she went and had a big Mac attack.....
They have personalities just like people..... there are some that are wonderful and some that are not worth the powder to blow them to he.......

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Any thoughts for buying a "mini" breed must include the high possibility of birthing issues. Often dwarfism is involved but, even if not, a cow bred to a bull who tends to sire large calves can be a tragic event at calving.

A whole lot of research went into raising mini horses. Same with all downsizing efforts. Takes a lot of care. Holds true for most all animals -- don't let the "aawwhhhh" factor get in the way!

Always wanted a milk cow but, all reasons stated made me think about good fresh milk from goats! They can still be rascals but are certainly more people friendly, and much smaller, than a cow! The beef steers I have raise gave me the lessons in "size matters". 😁 But I LOVE the cows big eyes!