What are their breeds / colors?

Vay

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was TOLD the 2 small bucks were mini rex.

I didn't know enough about mini-rex, and they looked enough like them from the pics... but I've since realized they are definitely not mini-rex, the fur isn't right.

I THINK they're polish. They're not very big - about the size of a guinea pig...

One is black
Jack.jpg

And one is white with black markings.

Tonto.jpg

I read somewhere the white one with black marks could be a broken... or a charlie... or a broken charlie... can't remember now... but also polish.

Maybe not, I don't know.

My other 2 bucks are (I think):

a silver NZ/flemish cross
could be gray..light gray... agouti... I don't really know what all of those mean, other than it's the pigments on the individual hairs, where those pigments are on the hair, and the percentage of the hair those pigments take... whatever.

buck1.JPG

And also a white NZ/flemish cross with grey spots.

buck2.JPG

My does are sandy flemish... not sure if crossed with anything... the person I got them from said they're mostly flemish.

C in hutch.jpeg

If anyone can give me more insight as to what they are, and the colors, as well as the genetic likelyhoods from each breed.... currently, the does have all been (attempted) bred with the small white and black one - October 18th - no fall offs, so we got the bigger bucks that weekend and re-bred with the silver/gray one October 24th.

2 of the does are pulling fluff. One of those 2 is getting bigger, the other one isn't, so we think one is a phantom pregnancy... and the 3rd one is eating a lot more, no fur pulling, is more aggressive....

Not completely sure. Checking several times a day. :idunno

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree, your Black and Broken Black look more like Polish than anything else I can think of. Your big boys are a Chinchilla and a Broken Chinchilla (the color that on anything else would be called "Chinchilla" is called "Light Grey" when it is on a Flemish Giant). "Silver" is something else entirely - a lot of completely white hairs distributed throughout a colored coat. The doe in your picture doesn't really look like a Sandy to me; Sandy is a lot like the Chestnut color in other rabbits, except that the black on the ends of the hairs is reduced to just ticking. I'm really not seeing black ticking on the rabbit in your picture, so I suspect she may be an Orange? Or maybe it's just the picture?
Flemish-Giant-Sandy.jpg

Sandy Flemish Giant

Orange often has just the tiniest bit of ticking, but the genetics of Orange and Sandy are quite different.

Last edited:

Vay

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So, I have 4 week olds from a litter from those identified as the Chinchilla buck and Orange flemish giant... funny enough, most were self black.

One is mostly black but with some silver tips, 3 are light grey with a white underbelly, and

Better pic of mom's color.... and babies.
Jan 10 - feeding time.jpeg
4 weeks old bigbuns.jpeg
allsleeping.png
grey.jpg

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a much more informative picture of the doe - she's a color that in Flemish is called Fawn (not to be confused with the Fawn of some other breeds, which is a dilute color). The Flemish Fawn is pretty much the same as Orange in other breeds (Flemish fanciers just gotta be different, I guess).:idunno