What are these bumps?

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I took some pics of Max today. The bumps have been there since I got him back, but I can't figure out what they are??

Under chest:
DSCF1493.jpg

DSCF1492.jpg

On head:
DSCF1491.jpg

DSCF1495.jpg

How do I get rid of them? Are they allergies??

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not allergies. He'd have bumps like hives. Are they in the process of healing? Are they scabby, and when the scab falls off, are they oily beneath?

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's the thing...the scabs aren't coming off, hair just seems to be growing up around them and through them. I figured I could just get the scabs off, everything would be fine, but the tops are dry...just not coming off easily.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The one at the girthline (first pic) looks like it may be either the result of, or aggravated by, girth galling. If you are riding, be very careful that the cinch is nowhere near this bump even when the leg moves forward -- if it unavoidably IS, personally I would find non-riding (or at least bareback) things to do with the horse til the bump heals and goes away. The more it is aggravated and rubbed at, the more trouble you are likely to experience in getting it 100% healed.

The others could be any number of harmless things, most likely from extra-vicious fly bites, and I would not worry and just ignore them until and unless they turn out to still be around in, like, January. Which I betcha anything they won't. This is very typical of things that happen on horses and is virtually-certainly not a big deal at all.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

w c

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Most of them look like bites from a variety of different insects. The one on the girth area, I can't see well enough to tell.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They look like fly bites to me. They seem to stay around a long time on some horses. How long exactly have the bumps been there? And I agree on keeping a girth/cinch away from the one on his belly, that could be very irritating to him.

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Look like fly/insect bites to me. Some of them can be nasty.

3 years ago, my mare was bitten by something between her leg and her teat. Both leg and teat swelled up and she could barely walk. My usual vet was out of town so the cow vet came out, took her blood and a phone call and $200 later she concluded she didn't know what it was.

Izzie got better in a few days and the following Saturday completed the Hopkins Creek 25, finished 6th out of 10 in our weight division

LauraM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The one in the girth area looks to be more of a wart or benign cyst. I've seen those quite a lot in that exact spot. Doesn't seem to be uncommon. Might get started by a girth rub or something of that nature. It looks different than the other ones, at least in these pics. The others look like insect bites.

Latest posts