What are your favorite goat treats?

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What do you feed as treats that is healthy for goats, especially wethers?
We are giving a little grain to our female teenage dairy goats in the evening, but haven't found much we can give our little wether (who is the greediest pig!). We do give him raisins currently but wasn't sure how healthy that is on an ongoing basis.
Suggestions? My other two like animal crackers but not the wether.

I would love to give them a treat that lasts awhile. We do cut branches for them from their favorite trees in other seasons but right now everything is bare.

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I treat mine with graham crackers and sometimes peanuts. We have fussy goats, of course (doesn't everyone?) Some like salted peanuts and some unsalted, one will only eat unshelled and one eats whatever you put in front of her nose.

I cut pine branches when I get the chance and they like to snack on those. I've read that it helps deworm.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I give mine some calf manna. My goats don't like the animal crackers or any other human food I have offered them. But they love the calf manna.

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Those are great ideas I would not have thought of. I even have some graham crackers here.
How much calf manna is a good snack?

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
all 8 of our goats line up at the fence for their animal crackers after they feed. I give my rabbits alfaya cubes and I crumble them up for the goats also. They love it.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Probably too late now...maybe not, but for next year....ask the people who sell xmas trees if you can pick up the unsold ones on the 25th for your goats. Then get as many as you want/can handle and bring them home. Dole them out as quickly or slowly as you want. They last several weeks here because they are refrigerated or frozen :p but eventually the needles fall off. My girls have eaten 16 trees so far, and I have 4 more waiting to go into the pen. I live next to a xmas tree farm, so I drag a couple over when I walk the dogs.

If you want to keep them occupied, things to jump on and climb up on and to play king-of-the-hill on are better than food. I have pallets, big cement and plastic blocks, and just added a tire half-buried so it is upright. Some people have quite a playground collection for their goats, which I envy in behalf of my goaties!

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How do you know which christmas trees are good for goats? Are they all the right kind? We have some evergreens here that are not supposed to be good for goats so I'm not sure about our area (SW Washington).
There are plenty of Christmas tree farms around though, that is a great lead!

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Unsalted saltines ... they like the crunch and they have very little sugar

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mine love the restaurant style tortilla chips for treats.