What are your favorite goat treats?

the simple life

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I know this is off topic but it relates the the alfalfa pellets.
If you buy a 50lb bag and are afraid it will go bad before you use it, it can be used in the garden as a growth booster.
Its the tocopherol thats in the alfalfa that is suppose to be helpful.
I read about it in a gardening journal a couple of years back and its all very scientific.
Take a 5 gallong bucket of warmish water, dump a few cups of alfalfa pellets in it and stir it with a stick or broken fence picket.
Let it sit and ferment a couple of weeks, as you can imagine it will smell really great, pour it around the base of your plants or flowering shrubs that need a boost.

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you for all the helpful posts. I really like the alfalfa pellets idea. I think I'll look for them at our feed store.
I really want something that will be a treat that does not encourage urinary calculi, that sounds so horrible and I don't want it happening to this wether, he is my darling. He is really the sweetest goat. I'm thinking of training him as a pack goat, he is so affectionate and loves people. I'm sure he would like all the suggested sweet treats, but I was hoping to find something that would be good for him too.
Do all goats like alfalfa pellets? sometimes mine have been picky, but they love alfalfa hay.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Plain popcorn, apple peels, crackers. I don't buy treats, just give them whatever I have at the time. They don't get treats very often.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Do all goats like alfalfa pellets? sometimes mine have been picky, but they love alfalfa hay.
Generally they take right to it. If they're used to getting pelleted grain, the 'format' will be familiar, and a few bites will tell them that it's tasty stuff...

When we started feeding it to our bucks, they thought it was a little sketchy at first. Took them about two feedings to figure out that it was good stuff, and now they scream and pace the fenceline when they see me coming with their little rubber tubs. :gig

And also...yeah...UC is horrible. Avoid it at all costs. That's precisely why when I saw 'treats for my wether' I immediately and strictly went to alfalfa pellets. Not as 'sexy' or fun as animal crackers and tortilla chips, of course, but they're healthful and very safe for male goats.

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I know this thread is a little old, but I just wanted to add one final note. I have learned my goats adore alfalfa pellets and am so happy I learned about them on this.
It makes it so much easier that my wether can eat the "treats" the same as the girls and I can usually sneak their grain in their bowl while he is happy with his pellets. At 10 dollars a bag, and it lasted us a long time, it was an extremely inexpensive treat.
I'm thankful I have this forum to learn things from!

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've found that my two nigi does are pretty ho hum about the alfalfa pellets but they will just about knock you over trying to get to the baled alfalfa. We bought a bale instead of the pellets just recently and both of them snarf it down like they're starving every time.

My theory is that it's because they have such a great opportunity to be wasteful: they eat all the leafy parts and leave the stems. ;) At $13/bale I'm not sure this will be a regular part of their diet; they'll just have to suffer through the pellets!!

oxdrover14

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
mine love cut up apples and carrots and also leftover sweet corn from our crop just pick it with the husk and all and they peel it themselves and chew the corn off of the cob its funny to watch

Nature Watcher

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I know I'm a little late but if I pour a little salt on my hand they will lick at it. They love it! (Wash your hands afterward. :D )

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Would sodium be good for a wether though?

I have started using alfalfa pellets as suggested here and really like them. I like that all three goats can eat this as a treat and I don't have to worry about who gets which bowl. They seem to really enjoy it and we were able to buy it quite inexpensively at the feed store.

I've also discovered my goats love raisins, graham crackers and animal crackers. I don't suppose those are as good for them as alfalfa pellets though.

trase

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Heidi, our little queen goat, LOVES Cheerios.

I mean, seriously LOVES them. See?

img_1225.jpg

The other four girls are really not so interested in them. I have some ideas from here that I'm going to try with them now, though, so I'll report back! :)