What breed are these goat ladies?

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am only familiar with Nubian, Sannan, Alpine, Lamancha, Pygmy, TF's, and Nigerian Dwarfs (basically milk goats).

Does anyone know what these ladies are? They were gifted to a friend of mine....
Screenshot_20180530-061045.png

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think Pygmy/Nigerian cross.
I like the one farther away in the pictures front end assembly. Really square front feet, something I always look at.

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok. They just look different from the ones I've been around. I'll let her know, in the mean time, what do you think of these two? They are our very first pair. Luna and Jupiter.
IMG_20180409_145955.jpg
about 4 mos old
IMG_20180427_065233.jpg
about 4 mos
IMG_20180302_155045.jpg
about 1 1/2-2 mos

I tried to pick off of what I had read about what to see in body shape but would be nice to hear what someone more experienced thinks of them.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is Jupiter a male? Is he wethered? Sorry if you posted and I missed this.
Is Luna female?

They sure are cute. :)
In the pictures the dappled one's feet look down... it could be the picture though. If the feet are "down" then their is a nutritional deficiency. Easily remedied.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
My guess is a pygmy/nigi cross. Maybe even predominantly more pygmy in the cross from the heavy body, leg length and width. I'm with OFA - love the front end on the one goat. The thing that takes me away from thinking pure pygmy is the face. Pure pygmy SHOULD have a short broad face and these gals have a longer narrower face. But, really pretty girls!

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nubian, or Nubian crosses
The ears give it away.
Boar goats have floppy ears too, but those goats look all dairy to me.
They are pure Nubian. Dairy all the way. Plan to breed for milk production and sale of kids. Already have a wait list for their kids due to their gorgeous coloring. Just wondering about their stance, build and such as I am new to goats. Good eye on breed!;)

Is Jupiter a male? Is he wethered? Sorry if you posted and I missed this.
Is Luna female?

They sure are cute. :)
In the pictures the dappled one's feet look down... it could be the picture though. If the feet are "down" then their is a nutritional deficiency. Easily remedied.
He is not wethered. We do plan to breed. Luna is definitely our shy little gal but a sweetie when she opens up. She has certainly come a long way. They were both bottle babies from the same herd but different parentage. She gained weight good but recently I've been feeling like she is a bit too skinny. He is going through a bratty boy phase but she sticks by his side regardless. How can i remedy the deficiency. We bought a humorous bag of feed that is stored in a metal barrel to keep rodents out so I don't remember what specific kind except the bag said it was for dairy goats. I remember that much bc the Hubbs almost grabbed the meat goat bag and I had to stop him. They have plenty of pasture, it's actually getting too tall bc they just graze along the outside of it. And we do offer a good quality hay. Just not sure where we are going wrong that she isn't putting enough meat on her bones. I know they aren't supposed to be particularly meaty, just curious what I can do to help her be healthy. We do plan to partition their housing and pasture over the next 3 months bc I don't want her bred until she is fully developed. Planned to do that at a year old.