What breed/breeds is this pony?

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Any ideas as to what breed or breeds this pony could be? He's a foster and his previous owner thought he was part Standardbred for some reason? That is the only clue I have as to what he might be. That woman got him at auction when he was 1 or 2 years old. He is 4 now, the vet confirmed that.

Any ideas?

Also, any suggestions as to what he could be used for? He's young, green but smart and sensible, not spooky at all. He's dead on 14 hh and probably between 600-700 lbs by now. Any ideas what discipline he would be best suited for based on his build/conformation? I know, the world is his oyster at this point, he's young and healthy and could do just about anything, but any suggestions would help. Any tips on finding his talents?

888_horses_081.jpg

888_horses_071.jpg

888_horses_046.jpg

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
if he is solid now, with a bit more work could make a nice youth mount

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I'm going to adopt him when the time comes. That is several months away and finding his talents would help me make that decision. He's big enough for me to ride. He's too small for my husband and we have no kids, so its tough to find a good reason to keep a pony of this size. I already have one other horse who can only be ridden by me. Plus my husband wants a draft or draft cross some day soon. I don't want too many mouths to feed, but I can certainly keep this pony until the end of summer, then I have to decide if I'm keeping him or sending him back.

Sheepdog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It is a little hard to tell, but first glance at him I thought maybe quarter pony or QP X. Hard to really know for sure because even with all my QHs, some are short and thick and others are tall and refined but all are registered purebred QHs with very similar bloodlines.

If he is quiet and is thick built, if you don't have to outlay any money on having him started under saddle and trained... so if you can do that all yourself, and he turns out to be a good honest, quiet pony, there are always people looking for kids ponies that are good and reliable... But you would have to be prepared to keep him at least a couple years and educate him. He looks cute enough and I would die for his tail.... he has a big and thick and glorious tail.... only one of my QHs has a tail like that.... the rest have thin tails.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He looks cute enough and I would die for his tail.... he has a big and thick and glorious tail.... only one of my QHs has a tail like that.... the rest have thin tails.
Tell me about it! His tail is amazing. The rescue had to cut it because it was dragging on the ground. His mane was equally long and thick but unfortunately so matted that the rescue trimmed it short. I'm hoping it will grow out since my TB mare rubs both her neck and her butt and always thinning her mane and tail.

Sheepdog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Try Shapelys MTG (Mane Tail Grow) if you haven't already. It definitely helped mine. I have used it one one of mine that got some sort of itch over summer and rubbed both her mane and tail out and had big bald spots over her neck and at the dock of the tail........ then I ended up using it on all of my horses that had a thin tails...friends use it and swear by the stuff. I have definitely seen an improvement but there is no magic cure that I know of except time....

I have had horses in the past that just naturally grew nice thick manes and tails and others that didn't. Didn't matter what I did, they either just had a nice thick tail or they didn't. I found that certain bloodlines of QHs had naturally better manes and tails than others... unfortunately the lines I have now, don't grow particuarly good manes and tails, regardless of what I do and what supplements are fed etc.

I had to have surgery last year and I turned most of my mares out in the pasture together and one mare chewed 2 of the other mares tails off back to the hock as well as my good reining geldings tail!!!!! The gelding was in a yard with a loafing shed, but his yard backed up against the 20 acre pasture where the mare's were, so who ever actually did the chewing, has reached through the fence rails and chewed his off also.... :barnie I was so angry... and still don't know which one is guilty of the crime.... there are three with tails, one with a naturally thick mane and tail and two with long manes and tails, though not as full as the first one. They also had mineral blocks and salt licks... grrrrr So I had to buy a couple of false tails... I already had a black one, but the sorrels weres hard to match up and had to buy them.

So I am playing the waiting game but I am using MTG and I have found that it does help somewhat, if nothing else, it keeps the roots of the hair oiled and seems to promote some growth... but I have always been skeptical.... I would never have gone out and bought the stuff, a friend gave me a bottle to try, as they swear by it. There horse's tail was thick and long and it had once been thin and whispy and they no longer needed the MTG.... it states on the bottle that you can also use it as a routine conditioning type thing... it can be a little messy, but after I found that the mare with the itch started to stop itching and grow her hair back on the bald patches and her mane started to improve, (after I had used various preparations and veterinary products in vain), I decided to use this MTG on all the horses and I am happy with the product. It was originally intended for skin problems but also to promote new hair growth and I know more people using it for tail growth than anything.:thumbsup

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is good to know. I'll give that product a try. I did try an herbal formula itch stop product last summer that was supposed to promote hair growth as well. I was not impressed with the results. Smelled nice though.

I wonder if this pony's thick mane and tail could be a clue to his breeding? He also has this amazing huge, smooth extended trot. He can keep up with my TB mare at a canter with that big trot! I don't know if he's gaited or not? I still wonder why his previous owner was so sure he had standardbred in him?

Sheepdog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
dianneS said:
That is good to know. I'll give that product a try. I did try an herbal formula itch stop product last summer that was supposed to promote hair growth as well. I was not impressed with the results. Smelled nice though.

I wonder if this pony's thick mane and tail could be a clue to his breeding? He also has this amazing huge, smooth extended trot. He can keep up with my TB mare at a canter with that big trot! I don't know if he's gaited or not? I still wonder why his previous owner was so sure he had standardbred in him?
The MTG smells like engine oil :lol: so doesn't have a particuarly pleasant smell but doesn't stink either.

I wondered that, about his thick tail... most welsh ponies have really good tails, but then others will tell you that most ponies in general, especially those from Britain grow good manes & tails.

But that was what I was saying about the QHs.... some bloodlines have great manes and tails and some don't... I had a number of Barpasser bred Western Pleasure/ All around Performance horses and they had such thick manes that I had to pull them so that I could band them and their tails were so so very thick.... never had to use a false tail in the show pen. But others have had average thickness to their manes and tails and then other bloodlines have had quite thin manes & tails. One of my Barpasser bred geldings forelock came down his face to his nostrils... you rarely see that on a QH.

Not sure about the gaited horses or even the morgans... I am really not all that familiar with them.

Give the MTG a try, just be prepared that it your horse may smell like a mechanics shop :gig

Akpahsj

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I don't really have an idea of a breed, but he is a very nice looking boy! The little black pony is nice looking too! Is the black one a pony, or a miniature horse?

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Akpahsj said:
I don't really have an idea of a breed, but he is a very nice looking boy! The little black pony is nice looking too! Is the black one a pony, or a miniature horse?
The black one is a mini. 36" at the withers. He's FAT in that picture!! He's lost a lot of weight since then. Will be wearing a grazing muzzle this spring, hopefully keep him at an ideal weight from now on.

Latest posts