What breed/breeds is this pony?

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if he was at least part Standardbred. I have a full blooded STBD and he has a awesomely think mane and tail!! And my STBD X Appy has a nice thick tail too! She has a thin Mane, but I think that is Appy coming through.

This is my STBD (but this doesn't really show his tail well, you can see his mane though):
4857_2012-2-8_015.jpg

And this is the STBD X Appy (good tail shot):
4857_2012-2-8_044.jpg

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He looks very similar to a Morgan/Appaloosa cross we had. The body structure and confirmation all remind me of Cinder (ours). The difference is in the size: Cinder was 16h and 1000lbs.

Other than he is a cute horse, why do you want him? He definitely looks like a driving prospect to me if you are interested in driving. Figure out what you want to do with him and then decide if he is suitable for that. Don't figure out what he is good at and convince yourself to change your plans.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Don't figure out what he is good at and convince yourself to change your plans.
Good advice.

I think I'll be sending him back to the rescue in the fall when our foster contract is up. Turns out I permanently adopted another horse through the same rescue and he is much better suited for my needs.

I figure I can let this pony hang out here through the summer, eat grass, get him in shape and maybe do a little work with him to make him more suitable for adoption, but I really have no need for a pony.

He will be leaving here in the fall just before the weather turns cold and feeding gets expensive... perfect timing!

PennyHen

Just born
Reaction score
dianneS said:
Good advice.

I think I'll be sending him back to the rescue in the fall when our foster contract is up. Turns out I permanently adopted another horse through the same rescue and he is much better suited for my needs.

I figure I can let this pony hang out here through the summer, eat grass, get him in shape and maybe do a little work with him to make him more suitable for adoption, but I really have no need for a pony.

He will be leaving here in the fall just before the weather turns cold and feeding gets expensive... perfect timing!
You obviously are still young and undamaged. When you get to be 50 with degenerative disc disease you will kill for those stout little 14 hand ponies that are strong enough to carry you all day and you don't have to climb onto a ladder to get up on them.

Rachel.And.Yue

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
PennyHen said:
dianneS said:
Good advice.

You obviously are still young and undamaged. When you get to be 50 with degenerative disc disease you will kill for those stout little 14 hand ponies that are strong enough to carry you all day and you don't have to climb onto a ladder to get up on them.
He looks like he could have a bit of STB in him but honestly if he is from a rescue he could be anything. He kind of looks like our old STB mare, mostly in the face, but he also looks like a taller version of a Caspian stallion I handled at school

I have ridden a quarter horse x welsh mare before and she was just the right height for me to place my foot in the stirrup (without stretching) and swing up. But she also had the most horrendous trot :lol:

My own horses (both arabs) are just at about 15 hands high so if I stretch a bit I can get on them from the ground...much nicer then using a step stool.

violetsky888

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think he has the taffy gene and maybe part standardbred part rocky mountain since they carry taffy.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
PennyHen said:

LoL I know this one, though I am young. I am a big girl but I ride a 14hh rescue Peruvian Paso mix. She is a stout little thing and can carry me alllllll day, in fact we just one our very first 25 mile endurance race! And the best part is she is so easy to get on and if I fall off it's so close to the ground, lol. :lol:

Prairie Farm Woman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think he looks like a Welsh. I think I'd train him to drive single as well as ride especially if he may not stay with you. He sure is handsome and it sounds like he has a gentle personality.

Lila.C

Just born
Reaction score
Looks very much like a standard bred with that very long back. Definitely not going to be suited to jumping or dressage. Maybe a trail or youth endurance horse? Not to be rude but it has a pretty poor conformation, wouldn't make any kind of show horse but if it has a good temperament - as most standardbred's do then when trained will probably make a great first "big' pony. but probably not going to really shine at anything enough to bother for an adult mount.