What breed is our Harvey?

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The only thing I can tell you about Harvey is that he will be 2 years old on June 26th. We've had him since he was a week old. Good luck!

IMG00110.jpg

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My guess would be holstein/jersey mix. He's looking nice. Is he heading for the freezer?

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
My guess would be holstein/jersey mix too.

But that rear end kinda makes me wonder if there might be something else in there!
He's got a nice bu..!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thewife said:
My guess would be holstein/jersey mix too.

But that rear end kinda makes me wonder if there might be something else in there!
He's got a nice bu..!
I have to wonder too but, if he's being fed to go to the freezer soon it could be just from that.

Has he always had that rear end or is it from feeding him up?

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When he was a calf we thought that he was a Guernsey (sp?) cross because he was so much lighter in color.

Here's a little of Harvey's background. I took Harvey from one of my customers I sold hay to. I saw him laying on the ground and noticed his poop was dry which told me he was dehydrated. When he got up he could barely walk. I asked why he couldn't walk and she told me he got kicked in the hips because she was dumb enough to put him in the pasture with a heifer and when he tried to nurse from her he got kicked. So immediately I told myself I couldn't leave him there because I know she wouldn't take care of him. She was feeding him 1/2 gallon of milk a day. When I got him home he was downing about 3 1/2 gallons a day. He didn't know how to eat grass, hay or grain. It took me 3 weeks of shoving it in his mouth to get him to finally eat it on his own. Then the only hay he would eat was oat hay. I could not for the life of me get him to eat alfalfa.

He would slowly hobble around the yard because of his hips. Every once in a while he would get these big spirts of energy and go running across the yard. He was 3 months old before his hips were finally healed and back to normal.

I bottle fed him until he was 4 months old, I know I know waaaaay tooo long. But he was my little baby. But honestly I couldn't afford to pay for 6 bottle feedings a day anymore :p

Our neighbor has cows and offered to let Harvey stay there for free and feed him for free. Can you believe that? Harvey is only being fed grass hay and alfalfa, no grain.

Yes, Harvey is going to the freezer. I love having my own home grown meat. We got a free yearling Angus last year and loved it.

Sorry for the long story :D

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Don't worry about the length-we love the stories behind the animals as well as pics!

Jerseys can be very light in color so the light color as a calf wouldn't mean much as far as jersey vs. guernesy.

Thank you for rescuing him. It sounds like his birth farm wasn't very good.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb here, but what does everyone think of a Jersey/hereford/angus cross? Jersey mom with a crossbred bull? I don't think a pure Jersey Holstein cross would show that much meat on the rear end. I'd say Jersey/Hereford but that would give red coat, wouldn't it?

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
GrassFarmerGalloway said:
He IS a beautiful cow!
I know he's very handsome. He'd crawl right into your lap and take a nap if you'd let him. Thankfully I don't have to see him everyday which will make his transition to the freezer a little easier :hit