what breed might i be???

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
So found this sow with three piglets walking around the property. she a bit standoffish seems to have been living wild for a bit. she let me with in 3 feet of her but thats it. she black with a white/pink snot, she has four white hooves, and white tipped tail. she stands at most 2.5 feet tall maybe 3 but that pushing it she very small. she has three piglets with her as well all three are completely black and her snot is pretty sort for a pig. so thinking a mini domestic pig. 20191216_124242.jpg

Attachments

• 20191216_124252.jpg
    20191216_124252.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 181

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
She just showed up there? That’s odd? Do you border farms? Better asks your neighbors if they are missing some. How much would you think she weighs?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
we live on a 200 acre ranch mostly neighbor good to one all the other side have nieghbors who don have animals

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
we looking but most of our neighbors dont have live stock and the few that do we calling we shall see. i am leaning towards a American gueinne hog/ potbelly mix maybe

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
at most 150 but she thin so i would say closer to 100-75 lbs

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I posted on the "coffee" thread where I read it at first. I think she is at least part Berkshire.... white stripe, white feet, upright ears. She may be young. It is hard to tell, but she may have been running wild for a bit as you said. From the pictures, again hard to tell for sure, but I don't think she is nursing the pigs, but rather is bred and getting closer to having a litter. If she has been running with a feral group, she could very well have gotten bred .
The pigs could just be traveling with her as they learn young to forage and tend to get weaned off pretty young as the wild hogs don't milk as long or as well as domestic because they are having to forage all the time. I would pen them up, if no one claims them, feed out the 3 younger ones for awhile and put them in the freezer. If she is getting close to farrowing, then she might have felt the need to find a "safer place" to have them and remembered that she used to get fed at another farm.
If any of the 3 smaller ones are males, I would get them castrated as the feral hogs tend to be more aggressive. and cutting the males will help to tone down the hormone levels.
2-3 ft at the shoulder is not that short or small of a hog if she is young.

You have alot of feral hogs in Tx right? So not that surprising that she would just turn up. Sometimes when they are hynted, I have been told that they will break off into smaller groups and travel..... like I said, maybe she got loose, hooked up with some ferals, then found her way into your direction and some of the smaller pigs just followed her.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
we do have a quite a few wild hogs on the property my husband shoots regularly and they are piglets that is are as weird as this is all female. my husband grandfather originally saw four piglets. now there are only three and she pretty protective of them. and really you think she pregnant... great wasnt expecting that one but it does explain why I didn't think they were nursing i get a better picture of the three piglets tomorrow but they don't seem feral but they react more to our presents then she does if i go out there like last night to the house they are sleeping she just lifts her head as to see who it is as the piglets jump up and seem to get ready to run but they are all three black on has some small white on nose another has alittle white above its hoof but i mean very little. but probably wont get a picture today my water broke and having contractions so yay its baby time let's go baby woohoo😁

Last edited: