What breed/mix is this calf???

violetsky888

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, This calf was traded around with a few other calves several times in the first couple days of her life. I
have no idea her original background other than she was sent to a sales barn with some holsteins and angus cross calves.
(maternal instincts were in overdrive and I bought some sickly calves from a guy that was selling them as his own farm grown, (they had sticker tape marks
from being auctioned and I saw another guy advertising (craigsl)calves off the interstate and recognized one he was selling). Anyway,
the calf is a few months old now and very beautiful, (sorry no current pics). She is as tall as a 6 month old angus calf at 3 months old,
with a bright red coat that is extra sleek. I got tired of bottle feeding her and put her on a jersey. I want to say she is a guernsey, but
I have not seen a lot of people with guernseys in Northern Alabama, but who knows?? She could be a beef cow for all I know, would love
to hear from more experienced cattle people. Thanks
5482_img_6591.jpg

5482_img_6569.jpg

violetsky888

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks, she is super sweet too. Actually too polite at feeding time, she needs to learn to be a little more aggressive. One little bump from one of the other piggies and she
gives up. I'm trying figure out whether I should start halter training her if she is indeed a milk cow. I'm kinda hoping she is a guernsey and want to train her to be a family
milk cow. An endeavor I don't want to try if she is more of beef cow. Wishful thinking tends to lead us astray.

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Looks like a swedish red/jersey. Color looks too red to be Guernsey. I would say she is a milker though.

Latest posts