What breed of rabbit should I get?

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes, for a pet, I would adopt too!;)
As a breeder, I do not care for the Jersey Woolies. IF you love brushing hair, then they may be the ones for you, however I did not care for the extra grooming they require.
Never had a silver fox.

Kooshie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I kind of like the idea of Angora rabbits but they sound like a lot of work! The I also like Dutch. Rabbits are neat.

Blackbird

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm not sure.. I like my mini lops though.

If you decide you like the mini lops I have a doe due in a couple days, I'll let you know.

Lil Chickie Mama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was searching for the same answer a few nights ago and I read somewhere on here and also in a few articles that rabbits will basically burrow many FEET into the ground. One person said that rabbits won't run out of room to burrow so it's pointless to try to do an underground fence. Another article I read said one of the deepest rabbit holes they found was about 12 FEET but many are commonly 9 FEET. Ack. That's deeper than my fence is tall so I don't plan to buy another just to bury it. But that's me...

Run-A-Muck Ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
as for the outside run/pen for a rabbit....we did it....

the only thing we did to prevent digging was to lay wire fencing down on the ground through the whole thing...that way the rabbits couldn't dig out...we used some old scrap fencing that we had...the holes weren't too big...larger than chicken wire openings....and of course alot thicker wire too.....
we never had a rabbit burrow out then, because they couldn't.......

as for what type of rabbit.........

we have

flemish giants
champagne d'argents
lionheads
american fuzzy lops
dutch
mini lops
french lops

outta all of them the fuzzy lop and the lionheads need the most grooming(obviously the extra wool)

as for the larger breeds (flemish giants, french lops, champagne d'argents)....i would say they are my favorites....and don't really eat that much extra

the dutch and mini lops are cute, but don't really seem overly active.

if I had to pick only one breed it would either be the flemish or the champagne's.....

i know our champagnes (as well as others who have them) can be a bit testy when handled though....