What Breed of Sheep Are These Babies? Photos Page 3

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would definately say a hair breed of sheep....which dont require shearing.

I have no preference of rams or ewes or wethers...our rams are just as friendly as the ewe's.

Freshly weaned lambs here that are not mixed breed are $100-250, adults purebred are $200-600

You will need two sheep. I have seen how the goats treat the sheep and they will not be friends. Our goats harass the sheep every chance they get and shove them off the food. We use copper bolus and free choice sheep minerals atm, so we dont have to worry about copper poisoning in the sheep. We had it set up so the goats could get goat minerals but the sheep kept busting into the mineral feeder. Sheep are over all more gentle then goats with each other it seems.

thailand

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A hair breed of sheep. Hmmmm...that's what I was thinking too. They are apparently 'meat' sheep as opposed to wool sheep so that would fit yeah? The ram is completely white, and the ewe has a tan colored patch about the size of a dinner plate on her rump above her tail, under her neck area, the underside tips of both ears and a light tan ring around both eyes. I have heard a whisper that there could be Dorper sheep in Thailand...but don't have a clue yet if these babies are Dorper. Hopefully I might be able to get a hold of the old guy's son when he returns to Thailand and find out for sure what breed they are.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You will need two sheep. I have seen how the goats treat the sheep and they will not be friends. Our goats harass the sheep every chance they get and shove them off the food. We use copper bolus and free choice sheep minerals atm, so we dont have to worry about copper poisoning in the sheep. We had it set up so the goats could get goat minerals but the sheep kept busting into the mineral feeder. Sheep are over all more gentle then goats with each other it seems.

LOL Our sheep were the complete opposite. They were fine at first but over time they rammed the goats, and were just jerks to them. It got so bad the Livestock guardian dogs were always in a tizzy and grew to really not like the sheep. When they started ramming our pregnant does that was it. We put them on 3+ acres alone. But even then they had to be a PITA and constantly escape and get out. Last straw was where they were running down the highway and we had to fetch them.

As far as the breed they look like Katahdin.
If you get the ram lambs and the breeder wethers them you need to find out how old. Most wethered real early are destined for freezer. Wethering to early can cause pizzle issues and stones.
Something to research so you understand more about this.

thailand

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh wow....thanks for that Southern. I'll look into the best age to wether then. Thanks for the suggestion of Katahdin too. Norseofcourse has a friend who has suggested the same.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would guess Katahdin as well....they often have those tan/brown spots on a white base.

LOL Our sheep were the complete opposite. They were fine at first but over time they rammed the goats, and were just jerks to them. It got so bad the Livestock guardian dogs were always in a tizzy and grew to really not like the sheep. When they started ramming our pregnant does that was it. We put them on 3+ acres alone. But even then they had to be a PITA and constantly escape and get out. Last straw was where they were running down the highway and we had to fetch them.

As far as the breed they look like Katahdin.
If you get the ram lambs and the breeder wethers them you need to find out how old. Most wethered real early are destined for freezer. Wethering to early can cause pizzle issues and stones.
Something to research so you understand more about this.

We had 37 goats and only 3 sheep so they were well out numbered. Now we have about even numbers so they get along better.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had 37 goats and only 3 sheep so they were well out numbered. Now we have about even numbers so they get along better.

We had a ton of goats and only 2 sheep. I really enjoyed them at first. They ended up being nothing but a PITA. After all the pummeling of the goats the LGD's began to really hate them. Once they were moved they would escape pretty frequently. If they came along the goats field the LGD's would go nuts. The sheep were fine with us, although never lovey and friendly. It seemed like once the sheep hit maturity is when it all started. Even in the beginning though the sheep always stayed together and never mingled with the goats. The goats never cared about the sheep being there but once the ramming started they were scared of them.

I will get some sheep again but will not ever house them together and will get a different breed.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a shame you had a bad experience with them. I love mine, they are spoiled :p

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Jacobs. They would come up for chin scratches etc but they are more primitive and don't want to be hugged on. They would greet us at the gate, normal stuff. No hotwire could keep them in. I think their wool just was so thick they never felt a thing going through.
I'll have to put up some pics. They sure were pretty! Like I said they started out fine but sadly once they matured that was it.
I love their wool it is great for rugged outdoor wear.

I'll put up some pics! :)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a ton of goats and only 2 sheep. I really enjoyed them at first. They ended up being nothing but a PITA. After all the pummeling of the goats the LGD's began to really hate them. Once they were moved they would escape pretty frequently. If they came along the goats field the LGD's would go nuts. The sheep were fine with us, although never lovey and friendly. It seemed like once the sheep hit maturity is when it all started. Even in the beginning though the sheep always stayed together and never mingled with the goats. The goats never cared about the sheep being there but once the ramming started they were scared of them.

I will get some sheep again but will not ever house them together and will get a different breed.

We have suffolk and polypay. Our sheep are very friendly even the rams and love their heads scratched and their faces petted. Our sheep are actually more friendly then some of our goats. The goats get out all the time and the sheep have never gotten out, even with no hot wire. Funny how the experiences can be so very different.

Latest posts