What breed would you recommend...?

Sara Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am working on next year's Ranch Plan. Adding rabbits is part of that plan. :)

I've watched and listened to others in the area have many failures with their rabbits, breeding, and eating endeavors. I have definitely learned a few things that I will NOT be doing. (Thanks guys!)

My goal is to have hardy meat rabbits that I can breed. I'd like to sell the rabbits and well as process the rabbits for eating. This past summer, there were a few days when the heat was 120-128. UGH. The majority of the time, there is a gentle breeze blowing. And at times, there is a high wind. So far, this winter, temps have dropped down to 15.

In reading this forum, I read about "colonizing" the rabbits. I love the idea, but not sure I could do it here. I am on top of a mountain. Lots of rocks in the ground.

I have seen wire cages set out in the open with a tarp over the tops.

I have seen wire cages set out in the open with 3 sides solid, with only the door as wire mesh.

I have seen wire cages (all sides) out in the open.

I have seen wire cages in a barn, no access to direct sunlight.

I have seen mobile tractors with a small bowl of pellets attached with a single rabbit in it.

What breed of rabbits would you recommend?

What type of housing would you recommend?

What type of feed would you recommend? (I currently have all my other animals on pasture, supplemented with feed.)

Where would you recommend I get the rabbits?

What to look for on the rabbit to ensure it's healthy? (Or what are the red flags with the rabbit to look for?)

Thanks!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have both Californian(meat breed) and French Angora(wool breed) rabbits. We are lucky as our rabbits are housed in our shop most in stackable cages and several of the angora's have floor pens(does with litters). Our kids show both breeds as 4-H projects, we do process for meat and we are in the learning stages of spinning the wool we comb off the angoras.

During our summer months we set up a med size barn fan to provide cooling for them as needed. We don't breed during the summer months(June, July, August). Sometimes we will do a winter litter given that our shop is heated(a perk because of the equipment we store for our business)

We feed a 15%-17% protein pellet to our Californian and an 18% protein pellet to our angoras plus free choice grass mix hay and fresh water.

You can check the ARBA(American Rabbits Breeders Association) to find local breeders who raise the breed you are looking for. You can also check at local flea markets, with local 4-H clubs to see if they know of anyone too.

A good book to take a look at or even have for reference is Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits

Good Luck in getting starting with your rabbits!

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
What hens and roos said.

Florida Whites aren't quite as big as New Zealand Whites, but maybe more tolerant to the heat.

I use fans, but also 2liter or 3liter soda bottles filled with water and frozen, leave a liitle room for expansion. They lay next to 'em to keep cool. I use 1liter bottles in my nest boxes. They will smother in there if too hot.

It's a good idea to avoid breeding in July, August, and December, January if in zones with high heat and lows that stretch out a while.

Main thing to remember is find a way to keep them dry. A wet rabbit dies quick in cool weather. Try to keep the wind off them in winter, and out of direct sun.

I feed a 16% protein rabbit pellet made from alfalfa. I also supplement with Calf Mana. Just a teaspoon a day. For lactating does and fryers I use a bit more. Abt a Tb.
A tsp of BOSS each day per bunny too. Black Oil Sunflower Seed. A good thing to try is a Tb or 2Tb ACV per gallon drinking water. Apple cider vinegar.
Provides Vit A and helps with urinary tract issues. Mine get free fed grass or orchard hay daily too. If they get a little loose bowels, give a little rolled oats or steel cut oats.

Lots more probably that I am leaving out. If you think of specific questions, just ask.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
hi sara, I live on the Arkansas/Oklahoma border about half way down the state. the summers here are hot and humid for the most part. my rabbits live under a large oak tree on the east side of a storage building that blocks all the western sun and heat. I keep a tarp over the top and sides of the cages to block the rain. I don't have electricity out there so no fan and no ice water bottles in the summer time either. I have meat mutts which are a mixture of new Zealand, Californians, palomino and American chinchilla with just a little touch of Flemish giant thrown in. they have always done well in my summer heat but I don't breed them for july, august or September kits. our winters don't compare to w.va. winters. I lived in a little town called French creek just outside of Buckhannon, wv for 17 years and know how cold it gets in that part of the state. if you keep them dry and out of the wind they should do ok. just my personal preference, I have hanging cages for my buns, have never raised them in colonies but have read a lot of negative things about it so just never tried it. i keep a buck and 2 or 3 does and they furnish all the rabbit meat i want with some to give family. i hope you find the breed that is right for you and enjoy them

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with goatgurl on the colony aspect(and other things too. Depending on region will determine what you can do with your buns and how.) Not many good things have been shown abt colonies to make me want to do it that way.

I currently have 4 does and two bucks. It is more than we can eat, and don't get many orders, so going down to half that.

Sara Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you!

This gives me a good starting point.

1) California, Florida Whites, New Zealand Whites, and meat mutts would be good rabbits to start with.

2) No breeding/litters during the hottest and the coldest months. Up here, that varies, but there are definitely seasons.

3) Don't let the rabbits get wet! If they do, dry them immediately!! Don't let rabbits be in direct sunlight or direct wind. Keep the rabbits from overheating.

4) Feed 15-18% protein, plus fresh grass/hay mix.

5) Flea markets, craigslist, 4-H, and ARBA(American Rabbits Breeders Association)

Besides environment where the rabbits are being kept, what else should I look for as red flags?

With all the advice/suggestions given, I am trying to figure out the best place to put the rabbit hutches. In the morning, the sun is on the front of the house. I keep blinds/drapes closed in the summer to help control the heat. In the afternoon and evening, the sun is behind the house. Probably too much for the rabbits, especially in the summer time.

Next to one of the animal houses? The only concern I have there is rats. I don't like them and I don't want to attract them to animal house. (I'm sorry - everyone I know who has rabbits has a rat problem, even if they deny it. I've seen the numerous rat droppings on and around the rabbit cages. While I may have rats, I definitely want to DISCOURAGE the population.)

I have a metal barn, but it's not insulated. I could probably insulate a section around the rabbit hutches... but would worry about them getting enough sunlight.

I have a furnace building, but it's not insulated. However, when the wood stove is going, which it should be through most of the cold months, the room would be warm. Again, sunlight is a concern.

At this point, I don't know how many rabbits would be a good number to start with. I want to breed the rabbits to keep the population going as well as sell the rabbits and/or process the rabbits.

Predators. I got them. I probably don't have to worry about overhead predators if the rabbits are in hutches/cages. There are squirrels, raccoons, foxes, coyotes, and bears on property. Probably more predators I am just not thinking of right now. Which ones do I need to worry about and suggestions for protecting the rabbits? I cringe at the through of a free standing rabbit station, but thinking that may be the way to go...unless I buy/build them a rabbit shed/house...?

I appreciate all of the information! It's helping me set up a starting point.

@Hens and Roos - I would love to hear more about the spinning of the wool. Where could I get a spinning wheel? What do you plan to do with the wool spun?

@Pastor Dave - you mentioned receiving orders for rabbits. About how much do you sell the rabbits for? Live or already processed? You said you had 4 does and 2 bucks and more rabbits than you can eat/sell. About how many rabbits do you eat in a month? Sell in a month? Produce? What kind of rabbits do you have?

@goatgurl - yeah, it can get COLD here! So far, 15 and the coldest months haven't happened yet! Typically January and February around here are the super cold months. Brrr!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
make sure the rabbits don't have any nasal/eye/matted fur on inside of front paws-these are symptoms of snuffles which is a contagious respiratory issue.

make sure the rabbits you buy exhibit a bright eye, glossy coat, good over all body condition and moving around

any time we add a new rabbit we quarantine it away from our main group for at least 30 days to make sure it doesn't have anything or develop anything

We are still learning how to spin- in all reality we haven't worked with spinning in over a year now do to life happenings :(. We ended up getting a drop spindle 1st to learn how to spin fiber and then our wheel from a local fiber shop(we just typed into google-fiber shops near me) that we found on-line. We ended up getting an Ashford Kiwi 2 spinning wheel-double treadle. Based on recommendation from the owner of the shop, we picked up some merino wool to mix with the angora to help it stay hooked together better. With the wool spun we can turn it into yarn for knitting or crochet work(we do know how to crochet)

Sara Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@Hens and Roos - sounds exciting!!! I looked up drop spindle. Inexpensive and looks like I could do that.

Wow. All of these things (like the manual hay baler & the drop spindle) I learn about here that I didn't realize I wanted!

I understand about life happening. Happens all the time here! :)

Thank you for sharing about the spinning. I will be adding that to my 2018 big picture plan.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
The squirrels are no issue. The rabbits will be bigger than a squirrel. The coons eat eggs, frogs, maybe a chicken, but not a rabbit. So, the foxes, coyotes, and bears are threats.

It sounds like the front of your house is South and back is North. The afternoon sun will be hotter than morning sun. They would do well under a shade tree or on the North side of a building protected from the sun.

They prefer 55degs F to 70degs F temps, so a heated barn or shed isn't usially too good for them. If they get used to the artificial heat and it should go out, it would be detrimental to them. I learned that on this site by the way. Mine are in a shed year round with ceiling vents. I put straw in with mine if it gets below 30degs F, but they soil it quick, and even eat it. It has to get changed abt every other day.

Around here, folks want to pay close to price for chicken in the store. Not a lot. We sold mutts for $5 live when I was a kid and $7 processed. Believe it or not, now I sell live for $10 and processed for $12. My pedigreed sells are $25.

Rabbits actually have more meat on carcass in terms of percentage than most other livestock. Abt 55-60% of total weight will be meat. We go for 5lbs by 10 weeks, and get 2-1/2lbs to 3lbs meat per carcass. You can go 12 to 16 weeks, but then they become roasters rather than fryers. If you go longer than 11 weeks, they get sexually mature, so may need to sex them and separate.
Prepare the meat just like chicken or pork.

American Chinchillas, Satins, and Rexes are good meat breeds. Pretty much any of your large breed 10-12 lb. senior weight.

Last edited: