What BYH animal(s) is getting most of your attention and why?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am always reading about pigs are BYH although I don't have any yet.
If you were to get some...what type would you choose, and for what purpose..pet, to butcher? We have two pot belly pigs as pets and a Hampshire pig..to butcher....really neither taker much work.

WildBird

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My chickens take up most of my time. I spend about 5-40 minutes with them a day, depending on the weather. But Tigar, one of my kittens, always jumps into my lap when I sit down, and if he got his way I'd be with him for several hours. I also spend a lot of time researching pets and animals I don't have... yet!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats. Right now is kidding season, then milking starts and that is a lot of individual handling of animals, feed, milk, records, etc. More time & intensity than others on the farm, due to the milking part. And, if I'm training any to milk (first fresheners), some get sold . But I love my dairy girls! Meat goats require far less with no milking requirements.

I have a lot of chickens, who come in 2nd in time. But since free range it's an hr or so AM & PM. Plus clean coops, collect eggs, package, etc. I do sell eggs.

The mini horses are old and retired and their feed/water takes little time. I do walk thru them, handle, feel, count noses, etc. -- more like petting big dogs a looking them over.

cluckmecoop7

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If you were to get some...what type would you choose, and for what purpose..pet, to butcher? We have two pot belly pigs as pets and a Hampshire pig..to butcher....really neither taker much work.

Probably to butcher. How do you butcher? PM me if you like please. I don't want to hijack the thread.

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have 35 ducks , 7 chickens, 4 geese, 6 kinds of pigs(total with piglets 58), goats (two bucks, one whether, two pregnant does, one in milk with a baby doeling, three boy bottle babies we just bought, two milk star line mamas coming next week with three more babies), 6 dogs (three little ones one medium one and two bloodhounds one of which is pregnant with her first bloodhound litter) so to say we are busy with just one animal type on the farm I couldn't say really. I guess right now I spend most of my time with our pig moms and piglets (four litters currently ) or my goat babies and their moms(bottle babies and milking the other moms)
Jimmy is alway building stuff for whomever I tell him needs whatever. So that's what gets his focus. This weekend was shade and houses!
Feeding takes about an hour and a half in morning and same in evenings, baby bottle feeding takes 30 minutes, pens getting mucked out takes about an hour to hour and half each day, duck house gets done once a week that takes about three hours not including draining the pond and refilling it and doing fresh flooring so I guess 5 hrs each week, jimmy spends 30 hours every weekend from 6 am to at least dark thirty building fixing repairing whatever I ask.
So in mornings everyone gets fed and watered, ducks and geese get fresh pond water, ducklings get fresh baby pool water, pigs all get their water troughs and wallers refilled, goats get bottle fed and milked and alfalfa, bermuda and sweet feed for the prego and milking ladies as their bonus, in winter that's all twice a day, in summer I have to water 6 times a day cause our summers get in the 120's. Our dogs eat twice a day and they have a baby pool too but most of them drink water from whatever pen Im cleaning out at the moment throughout the day. My husband gets fed three times a day when he's home and breakfast and dinner the rest of the week, my uncle gets whatever bottle makes him happy while he sits on the porch and tells me the same story he told me three times yesterday. Hope I'm not forgetting anyone, oops the fish we have 7 goldfish that are now 6 years old and 10in long each they eat once a day and the cat who eats whenever she wants(her bowl is up high away from the dogs so i just keep it full) and the mice I breed in cages to trade for meal worms or to sell as pets I have 8 breeders and currently 4 sets of babies they get fed every 2 days and cleaned out once a week.. Oh yeah and I now have a bottle piglet in the house this week until she catches up with her siblings.

Last edited:

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats. Right now is kidding season, then milking starts and that is a lot of individual handling of animals, feed, milk, records, etc. More time & intensity than others on the farm, due to the milking part. And, if I'm training any to milk (first fresheners), some get sold . But I love my dairy girls! Meat goats require far less with no milking requirements.

I have a lot of chickens, who come in 2nd in time. But since free range it's an hr or so AM & PM. Plus clean coops, collect eggs, package, etc. I do sell eggs.

The mini horses are old and retired and their feed/water takes little time. I do walk thru them, handle, feel, count noses, etc. -- more like petting big dogs a looking them over.
You are sooooo right about the milking taking a lot of time!! And, the kids!! Now, hands down, the goats take all of my time...but, the only thing I mind is the milking. We ordered a new machine..hopefully it will work better!! In the meantime, doing it by hand. Ugh. But, goats are the best, so spending my day outside with bouncing babies is great with me!! :weee:love

Latest posts