1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Ear Tags - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

What Can Be Done with Gulf Coast Native Sheep Wool

Discussion in 'Fibers' started by Childwanderer, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Jan 2, 2019
    Childwanderer

Childwanderer Overrun with beasties

Happy New Year!
    I had three Gulf Coast Native Sheep sheared last year, and am still processing the wool. :oops: I am using Kookaburra Woolscour, Valkyrie brand Extra Fine combs, Ashford hand cards, and a drop spindle. It works, but I don't know enough about wool to sort the parts of the fleece by quality beyond the obvious good-vs.-blech and I'm not as efficient as I would like.

I'd like to find someone faster/ more efficiently equipped to process fleeces next year. Any recommendations in the Gulf Coast region of Texas?

Attached Files:

2. Jan 2, 2019
    Childwanderer

Here's a close-up photo of most of the yarn I've made:

Attached Files:

3. Jan 2, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Maybe you could felt it and make a rain shedding hoodie poncho? With all the rain we've been having, I sure would like one! @secuono does a lot with her wool, maybe she could give you some pointers.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Childwanderer likes this.
  4. Jan 2, 2019
    Childwanderer

I do think it would be good for felting; I'm a needle-felter and the texture seems right. Rain-shedding would be a boon! It's currently pouring a lake and a half. I'm not really looking forward to seeing the condition of the pasture in the morning!