What can I do about scurs?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
A scur will wiggle when you grab hold of it, a horn is solidly anchored to the head.

From your description of the disbudding I would say that your buck has a horn. They need to done at about 5 days on a standard breed buck. I have friends that raise Saanens and they burn them the same as I do on my Alpines and LaManchas. On a doeling you might be able to push the disbudding to 10 days, but 7 is more the norm. And the buckling's grow bigger faster so we usually do them at about 5 days.

Your best bet for him is to find a good vet that is familiar with goats and have them removed, but I would wait until fly season is over as it won't be pretty.

momto6Ls

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ugh. Yeah. This little guy was 4 weeks, I think. Thanks for the Help! We had bucklings last year and the same guy said they were perfect at 6 weeks. He would just "brake them off!" I said no thanks and just sold them with horns. This guy we are going to keep, so off to the vet he'll go. We did sister the same day. She looks great, but if course his horns were much bigger. Thanks again!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
We also typically burn the bucklings more than once, a few weeks apart; 3 different times is not uncommon. They are just tough. A 6 week old buckling is WAY TOO old to burn, even my vet wouldn't do it. At that age it would be a dehorning and much more involved.