What can I do about scurs?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
It's a personal preference, IMO. I HATE scurs. I think they really ruin the 'look', which is important in a show herd.

Prior to showing, I didn't fuss with scurs (except on my one buck who's deformed horn tried to grow back into his scull). Now I'm glad I removed his scur and deformed horn, though, because he cannot damage my fencing like he used to when he rubbed his head.

MysticScorpio82

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
()relics said:
MysticScorpio82 said:
If you think the site I suggested is so horribly inaccurate for information, could you give some of us newbs a better one? (not being snarky, I would just like a better info site if there is one because I want to be as prepared as possible for my goats and so far this was the most informative one I could find)
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5810

In animal health/care issues where a poster may do or not do to one of their animals based on something they read, it is best to, know yourself before you advise someone else, In My Opinion, and Not To Be Snarky...
http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/sheep/goatlinks.html
http://www.smallruminantresearch.com/home
http://www2.luresext.edu/index.htm
http://extension.umd.edu/
any of these would at least give you Non-biased information....Anytime someone is trying to sell their products and feels that they need to twist the information to do so...well you fill in the blanks...
Awesome! Thank you much! :D

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How would I know a true scur from a horn? I did not think they were horns immediately as they are kind of soft and almost rubbery feeling and the seller referred to them as scurs as well.

If I were to decide to trim back the curving one, say I were to contain him, dip my sharpest hoove cutters in bleach water and then nip just the curved part off, perhaps an inch or two, and be ready with some of my styptic from dog toe nail trims that I have....perhaps cleanse the stump of what is left in weak antimicrobial/h20 mix first? It kind of makes his hair bunch up and looks unattractive to me and I would like to make him as attractive as possible for resale. The scur itself is perhaps 4 inches long if you straightened it out, but the curve keeps it kind of flat to his head. I repeat though I don't want to borrow trouble......

I need to learn how to upload pictures on here for this kind of thing but I'm really brain dead about that type of stuff...someone already patiently explained it to me and it still didn't seem to work......sorry. I would not go to the trouble of reburning this for him if they are horns because I'm trying to keep my investment down. He is a nigerian but without papers so his value will never be too high. He seems a bit stocky to be a show type as well, but he suited my purposes because my main goal was for them to have nice small kids for their first freshening without putting out a lot of money and I think he should fill that role nicely. They are already part pygmy so could have "stocky" offspring anyway, although they are mainly quasi mini nubian (mom 3/4 nigy, 1/4 pygmy, dad full sized nubian).

Thanks again for all suggestions, I am the type that reads all websites and then decides for myself as what is on the internet is just one person's opinion. While I would like to try to do things naturally and holistically and found fiascofarms site very helpful, I do agree that is just one person's style and experience and my experience working for a vet has shown me holistic ideas are not always effective. Our family is fully carnivorous as well! I believe science updates things constantly and while "old ways" can work, studying the latest never hurts either and doing what feels right and is feasible for you, blending old and new is my style. Isn't that what this forum is about, so that we can discuss our different experiences? I thank all of you for your advice and attention to my questions and appreciate everyones differing opinions. From all of you I shall form my own. Relic I look forward to reading those web links.

If I have learned anything about goats, it is that people have different styles that seem to work for them and that they have opinions about! But the goats seem to be thriving so I'll just keep on paying attention to y'all!

:bow

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Scurs are generally flat, whereas deformed horns will have a cylindrical center (where pulp and blood supply are).

If it's a deformed horn, and you cut it off...blood stop isn't going to do much to stop the bleeding. You just have to apply pressure best you can and wait for it to clot. I've found that using a bone saw creates enough heat while sawing that it seems to cauterize the blood as it goes through and is a LOT less messy than cutting or using a dremmel.

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Fiasco farms is a poor source to quote...it has been discussed here many times before so no need to go into the facts again...suffice it to say the information presented there is dated and opinionated at best as well as archived....Not JMO...Fact
Seriously? We are back on this again? Sheesh!

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
savingdogs said:
although they are mainly quasi mini nubian (mom 3/4 nigy, 1/4 pygmy, dad full sized nubian).
Yeouch!! :ep
Yes, that was an accident, and not at MY house. This is why I was careful to have a dad smaller than mom.

To her credit, the doe had three healthy triplets, beautiful babies if I do say so myself, and it was her first time. The owners were real upset that it happened (buck broke through fence) and sold her after we bought the kids.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's great she delivered without incident. I'll bet having triplets instead of a giant singleton helped!

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would have thought having a single one would be easier, I guess I still have a lot to learn. All three are more the size of a nigerian but have the body shape more like a nubian. I realize mini nubians are created with originally using those two breeds but the other way around, and I'd love to use a real mini nubian stud next year and keep all females that time.

However for this year I'm trying to economize since it is just their first freshening. That is why we bought this little guy and plan to sell him after he has the girls well covered. That is why I'd like to make him look as nice as possible, hence the beginning of the scur question.

I think I've decided that at this point the scurs are just going to stay on his head until I'm more experienced at evaluating them. They do not seem to be growing into his head, and I don't have a saw, although I am still interested in learning more about scurs as I plan on having more goats!