What can I expect?

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It's been a week since I have gotten my paca, Kusko. The person I got him from said she wishes Kusko was sweeter... She said he would take treats from her but that was about it. Well, I have no idea what to expect of an alpaca. I know my goats. They are sweet but pushy, bossy and mean to each others...etc. So far Kusko is getting less skittish with me. I can hand feed him and he sometimes get really close to my face to smell me. It takes a few minutes to round him up in order to put his halter on. I still move around him slowly and do not try to pet him because I read they don't like to be petted. I don't know about his history except he was picked on by other paca and was sent to live with goats. He lived with goats most of his live and he is about 4. He is fine with my goats but one of them is a bit pushy...so there is definitely a pushing (by my goat) and spitting (by Kusko) acts going on at feeding time. He seems to be bonding with my goats too. He doesn't like to be separated from them even with the pushy one. He seems to me a sweet paca...as in time he would be friendlier. He doesn't seem to be too shy with strangers either...especially when the goats are around. I don't expect him to be affectionate like the goats but just wondering what more can I expect of him?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Most of the time alpacas are curious but standoffish. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get much more from him. My alpacas came for food and would eat out of our hands. They would also sniff hair or something if they thought they wouldn't be touched. But most of the time, they stayed at arms length.

You do get that occasional alpaca that will be friendly but you also have to be careful. The friendly ones usually end up being the pushy ones who will treat you like another alpaca and may do things like chest butt you.

I always used a small pen when I would want to halter someone or do shots or anything. I learned most of my techniques from CameliDynamics by Marty McGee Bennett.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks Karen, I'll just continue with what I do and be consistent with my routine and hopefully to earn his trust. He actually acts more relaxed than the goats when I first got them with the exception of my bottle fed kid. I really love him...sometimes I thin more than my goats!

Latest posts