What color would you say these are?

Mocksincerity

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I got one self black, a few broken blacks, and then varying shades of this they started out looking like whites on the first day, then they looked more like lilacs, like a platinum blue, then they looked just like chinchilla, now I'm not sure. Both parents are Rex with Rex coats the mother is a pedigreed white with blue, black, otter (black) in her ped. The father isn't pedigreed but I know he has white, blue, and chinchilla in his background.

DSCF7919.JPG

Last edited:

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Definitely NOT chin - those are self patterned rabbits with a lot of white hairs mixed in. Chinchilla is an agouti patterned color, with banded hairs, light eye rings, ear lacing, white around the nose, under the jaw, etc - none of which those rabbits have. I'm trying to decide if I'm seeing Siamese-type shading or not, if it really is there, they are Smoke Pearls.

Chinchilla Mini Rex:
555309.jpg

Last edited:

Mocksincerity

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My bf and I were socializing the buns today and the two broken ones in the first pic have hairs that are grey with just white on the tip. I can't recall now that I'm typing if all the hairs were white tipped or some were grey from root to tip with some white tipped hairs mixed in. I also can't recall if the hair had three bands or 2. I know 100% that a good number of the hairs where tipped in pure white. Either way I'll try and get a pic tomorrow that shows that.

Mocksincerity

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Also the solid colored ones have white or light bellies

Mocksincerity

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The lady I got the buck from also bred Champagne d'argent rabbits. I wonder if she mixed them with her Rex at some point in the past, and that's what's going on here.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Champagnes are born pure black, and develop heavy silvering as they mature.

Chinchillas also look black at birth (on the body and face, anyway). They are pretty much indistinguishable from silver martens at birth; it's only as they get older that the light band in the middle of the hairs becomes apparent.

Last edited:

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Mocksincerity, what @Bunnylady said. Since you mentioned Champagnes, I raise Silver Foxes, a silvering breed, so I would say it cannot be silvering that heavy and even. It usually takes several months for the silvering to come in and it does not come in evenly, but in patches usually starting around the lower sides going up as they age in all kinds of crazy patterns with the head and ears usually being the last to fully silver, but even so every rabbit silvers differently.