What could I make?

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So we got a large STURDY pallet recently from some metal we got delivered. We were going to burn it but I really think it would make a good base for maybe a shelter? I am not sure, what do you guys think?
Yes I am obsessed with re-using things, sorry! :p

IMG_9970.JPG
IMG_9971.JPG
IMG_9969.JPG

(Sorry for the mess)

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
With all my mud - I'd make a bridge out of it, lol! But, I'm with ya on using it for something!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you could find a dozen things to make it into... the better question is what do you need built, and how can/can it be used in some way toward that end...

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
What @Latestarter said!

That looks to be longer than the trailer (mess can be good for perspective ;) ). Glad you didn't toss it on the bonfire.

• Do you have a wood shed that needs "above grade" flooring? I have pallets on the dirt floor of my little barn where we store our cordwood.
  • Base for a hoop greenhouse?
  • Base for a chicken coop?
  • Base for a goat shed?
  • Base for a storage shed closer to somewhere you haul things to and from because there is no building there?
  • Partition wall in the barn?
There must be dozens of things it could be the start of!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have a shelter that needs a wall? Or take it apart and stack it up for a future project. My pile of used, reject, curved lumber is dwindling down because of all the projects we have been working on. But if I didn't have my pile, we sure would have spent tons of money on all that we have built!

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you! I've been wondering if it'd be hard to frame it up and make another shelter? I totally have shelter fever as the boy says ;)
Should I frame from the side or the top of the platform? :D

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Whereas I would build on the top :lol:

Side will give a bit more interior space. Top will give you more stability ASSUMING you are framing it like a wall with top and bottom plates. If you build from the sides you are relying on the screws to hold the walls and roof up rather than gravity on the platform.

That said, both will work!

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good point! I am planning to frame it all up (mostly)! Trying to decide if I want to leave half of the front open open or put an entrance in the middle of the 'front'