What could it be

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The only thing is some of the flaps got bent a little bit but I could always put new ones on. We will see my kill date is two go in the second week of October and the last two go in the last week of October

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Or maybe just a bit of reinforcement where they got bent? Sounds like the design/build was nearly 100% good.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use about 6-8 buckets, for 2 or more hogs. With the one hog we have now, I am using 5 buckets. I feed one in the morning, one in the evening. I use a large Folgers plastic can, I think it is 3 pounds. I cover the corn with water, plus a couple of inches. Pour a couple of cups of milk in it. It should be sour in a few days. I rotate the buckets, putting them in a line with the newest to the back of the line. When I start a new bucket, I pour a little sour water in it from another bucket. Sometimes it gets a scummy yuck over the top, the pigs don't seem to mind one bit.

I used your blue barrel idea for the sour corn, since it is wet. With the 2 Hereford hogs we raised, they ran to suck up the soured water and milk. They loved the juice. The huge boar hog we have right now is not impressed with the juice, wants only the corn. For him, my husband built a 2x8 wood trough since he's so big, that his head wouldn't go through the hole we cut in the barrel. Didn't want to cut it bigger as the next feeder pigs would just walk in it. LOL

I don't put milk in every time. It was to get it started and to culture the bacteria for souring the corn. We buy a gallon every few weeks to give to him.

When I start feeder pigs, they have free choice pellets and get the soured corn once a day or every other day, according to how fast they eat it. About a month before slaughter, I no longer offer pellets and go to straight soured corn. It puts a good finish on them.