what cuts of meat from goat?

Egg_Newton

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Taking my first goat to butcher next week. How would you typically have a goat cut?

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well it really depends on how you are wanting to eat your meat.

My butcher offers three different ways to gets your meat back. Primal which is the animal just broken down into the basic muscle groups. Retail which is you sliced steaks, frenched ribs etc. Then finally you have custom, which means if you just want your roasts back and everything else ground you can.

What I suggest is to check out some recipes and get some ideas on what your needs are. Also talk to your processor, they may have certain ways of doing things.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We did ours like we butcher deer. Which means all bone removed. Fat and sinew removed. Large muscle cleaned up and cut into steaks, forelegs and anything that is likely to be tough ground. Flank meat ground as well.
The stuff that was trimmed off was cooked up for our dog. So it did not go to waste.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
When the butcher did it, we had them make goat chops, roast, and ground. I just did one two weeks ago and left the meat in bigger pieces---leg roasts, and then backstraps, tenderloins, ribs. There was some chunks of meat left that I tossed into a bag for stew. The leg roast was DELICIOUS!! Rosemary, olive oil, garlic, low heat....:drool