What defines a dairy animal?

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
Well, good production is the goal but, many things besides feed goes into that. Type (meaning build) of the cow, breed, genetics are good places to start.
I already have the breed I want. I don't need much milk. I'm trying to decide which cow I'd want to milk.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
GrassFarmerGalloway said:
Farmer Kitty said:
Well, good production is the goal but, many things besides feed goes into that. Type (meaning build) of the cow, breed, genetics are good places to start.
I already have the breed I want. I don't need much milk. I'm trying to decide which cow I'd want to milk.
Look for one with good build, deep chest, and open ribs. Think about which one had the calf that did the best growing. She is probably a good producer.

Don't forget temperment. Where your picking from one of your own herd, I would exclude any whose temperments are mean, ornery, or stubborn. As long as your going to milk only one, why fight more than necessary with her?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
you want a deep bodied cow.an she must raise a good calf.because that will tell you how much milk the cow gives.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
From my perspective on my limited knowledge of dairy cattle, conformation for one thing is important: good feet, good udder, lots of capacity, and feminine-looking.

Genetics and reproductive ability is also very important, and if the one you have is a proven cow with good heifers that also give good milk, as well as her dam and sire with superior genetics as well, then she's what I would call a good dairy cow.

This, IMHO, is what a good dairy cow should look like:

DSCF0467.jpg

She's being dried off, that's why her udder is baggy in this pic. She ain't mine so I wouldn't know her age or anything like that.

DSCF0465.jpg

This gives you a little better angle of her...heifer in the foreground is in heat, btw.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
WRB, is that cow a milking shorthorn cross? For a cow entering her dry period she is well conditioned. A cow that is at the beginning or peak of her production will be showing more rib and then they gain more conditioning as they get to dry off in preparation for milking for the new calf. Yes, good feet and udders are important and part of her build.

That heifer looks to be a real nice holstein. I could have guessed by body positioning that she was in heat.

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
Kitty, the big cow is pure holstein too, I'm pretty sure of it. And yes she is in excellent condition for going in her dry period.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef said:
Kitty, the big cow is pure holstein too, I'm pretty sure of it. And yes she is in excellent condition for going in her dry period.
Could be, just more the markings of a cross. But, then again look at Thunder's calf, Hurricane. :rolleyes:

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
WildRoseBeef said:
Could be, just more the markings of a cross. But, then again look at Thunder's calf, Hurricane. :rolleyes:
That's right. <nodding>