What defines a dairy animal?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
im thinking she has some other dairy breeds in her or her background as well.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
im thinking she has some other dairy breeds in her or her background as well.
I've seen jersey/holstein crosses with that kind of marking too. She is just conditioned more like a milking shorthorn would be than the jersey.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
If this helps you two any, the fella that owns this cow also has Jersey and Brown Swiss in his herd. So maybe she's like 1/4 Brown Swiss and 3/4 Holstein.

But what do I know about dairy cattle? :hu

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have some pics I will see about posting in the morning that show somethings to look for when looking at dairy cattle.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
SHe looks like a fairly mature cow-- I'm guessing at least 4-5 years old. Looks like her feet are holding up well , too.

Do I understand you are trying to choose one that you already own that you will milk? I'd go with the easiest to handle/work with/ milking ease in that case.
I wouldn't think there is THAT much difference within a given breed in quantity if you are only looking at a family cow. I'd say it's more in how it's fed. For milk in a dual-purpose breed, you do want one that has less body beef and more clean lines. In other words, she should be putting her feed into milk and not into meat. That is what usually separates the breeds. Dairy breeds put their energy into the milk bucket. Beef breeds put it onto their backs. So for instance, a Holstein that is meaty is not desirable; she should be on the thin side, yet strong boned, not fine boned.
The rear end at the tail should be wide so they calve easily.
Judging cows is an acquired ability; you have to study them, ask questions, etc.

I'm sure Kitty has lotsa info.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Imissmygirls said:
SHe looks like a fairly mature cow-- I'm guessing at least 4-5 years old. Looks like her feet are holding up well , too.
Yes, I was thinking more like in between 5 and 8 years, probably closer to your guess.

Looking at her head on, she's definately got more Holstein in her than any other breed she possibly has in the woodpile.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Okay, here are a few pointers on choosing a dairy cow.

I'll start with rib spacing. Open ribs are important for good milk production. You should be able to get 2 to 3 fingers between the last two ribs.
Natalieribspacin.jpg

Maryribspacing.jpg

Sparklesribspacing.jpg

Udder attachment and teat placement are important. The rear attachment should be high and the udder should not be lower than their knees. Teats should be place under the udder and not sticking out to the sides. The rear teats will be closer together than the front teats.
Tarasudder.jpg

NatalieUdder.jpg

I didn't get any pics of the foreudder but, it should be well attached too.

Strength and General build.
Natalie
Natalie.jpg

This cow is a good milker, has open ribs and nice udder. But, her longevity is not there.
Natalie.jpg

Look at her front shoulders. See how they wing out. That is a problem cows with weak front ends encounter. This will give her problems in the future.

Her hind legs are set good. The toe of the hoof should be straight down from the front edge of her upper leg.

Her pins are to high. Pins should be a couple inches lower than the hip bones.

She is the first cow in the rib spacing above.

Sparkles
Sparkles.jpg

This cow is overall a well built cow. I'd like a little more strength to her front end but, she is okay and will do fine. She is the 3rd cow in the rib spacing so she is okay there but, a little more openness wouldn't hurt. She does hockin some on the hind legs but, not bad enough to be a real issue.

Mary
Mary-1.jpg

Is a springing heifer and I can't wait to see how she does. The only thing I would really like to change about her is her pins. They are a bit high. So far her udder is looking really good. If you look closely you can see her foreudder-it is attached nicely.