What do I do?

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How do your rams get along with your livestock guardians? We are having issues, to put it mildly. The dog won't stop trying to hump the ram, and the ram won't stop head butting and trying to hump the dog. The dog follows the ewes around constantly licking their backside. It's getting ridiculous. The dog listens to corrections while I'm standing there, but as soon as we leave and go back up to the house, he is back at it with his inappropriate behavior. Both he and the ram are equal guilty parties. Any tips? I have gone to a trainer for advice, just seeing if anyone on here has dealt with this? what works?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
How old is your dog? I haven't had that problem with rams, but I have a dog that would lick the ewes lady parts. I scolded her hard, she will still do it, but not as much as she used to.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How old is your dog? I haven't had that problem with rams, but I have a dog that would lick the ewes lady parts. I scolded her hard, she will still do it, but not as much as she used to.
He is 2yrs old.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Animal hormones respond to stimuli...scent being among the most essential and strongest. Estrus produces strong scent to attract a mate. Some animals are less concerned about interactions with those not of their kind.

I have had my goat buck follow a mini horse mare, smelling, tongue wagging, licking and the whole nine yards! She put up with the attention until he tried to mount. A couple flying feet told the buck he wasn't appreciated. I did nothing as it was being handled. :D

Not sure how to tell you to "correct" this interaction. May be that you just put up with it...or separate the ram. I don't have an LGD.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
He is 2yrs old.
He is still young, maybe he will quit as he gets older. Maybe not. What happens when you separate the ram from the flock and the dog/ram humping gets interrupted? Maybe if you take them away from each other when you don't want the ewes bred, and then put them back together, it will give them time to forget about it and break up that behavior.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
He is still young, maybe he will quit as he gets older. Maybe not. What happens when you separate the ram from the flock and the dog/ram humping gets interrupted? Maybe if you take them away from each other when you don't want the ewes bred, and then put them back together, it will give them time to forget about it and break up that behavior.
The dog will still Harrass the ewes even if I take the ram away :/ right now we have the dog tethered in the pasture because he bothers everyone when he is lose.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I will say, he never did this until the ram started humping him. He won't tell the ram not to, I'm at a loss. I feel like if the dog told the ram off that maybe it would stop? I agree with the shock collar. We are definitely looking at that.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
If none of the sheep or dog is getting injured, maybe it's one of those things to just leave alone? Intact animals are going to hump something sooner or later, especially if they can't satisfy their breeding urges in a normal manner.

My dog would lick the sheep also, but since he was neutered, nothing went any further.