What do i need to know ?

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My husband has decided to embark on a new adventure. He has bought a Yorkshire piglet with the intentions of raising it for slaughter. At my house I am the keeper of the animals and my husband looks to me for all the health questions that may rise. So now I need help lol. When raising pigs for meat are there certain vaccines they will need? How often should I worm them? What wormer is best for pigs going to slaughter? and if there is an important Question I am missing pls let me know. Also the new piglet has the scours im not sure if it is because she is just weaned or if there may be a bigger problem so I started her on electrolytes can i add the wormer I have now (wazine) to the water with her electrolytes? thanks for any help:idunno

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I know there are quite a few similar posts in the pig section... Not sure if you've done much browsing there yet. @Farmer Connie might be able to help... Haven't seen @misfitmorgan in WAY too long (Hope her and fam are OK), I think @High Desert Cowboy works with hogs but I apologize if I've named the wrong member... My brain isn't working real well right now. There are lots of folks who have or had pigs... @Mini Horses @Baymule @mysunwolf @frustratedearthmother

Hope you get the answers you're seeking. Good luck and hope you'll share updates and pics :D

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You’re good @Latestarter I do work with pigs. How old is your weaner pig? Is there vomit with the scours? What color is the scours? Weight? These are just a few questions to get an idea behind the scours, weaning is a stressful time. I actually raise pigs on a commercial scale, where I’m weaning over 2000 piglets a week so it’s different from a back yard animal, but we do vaccinate against PRRS, circovirus, and mycoplasma at wean. Sometimes a shot of draxxin. As far as wormer we don’t worm, and I’ve never wormed pigs anywhere else.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't worm my pigs either. But I have had two batches of feeder pigs come to me with lice. For that I use apple flavored ivermectin horse wormer. I tear a piece of bread in half and squeeze the weight appropriate amount onto the bread. I fold the half piece in half and mash the edges to seal it up. Then I toss them over the fence to the pigs. They can smell the apple flavor when I walk up and go nuts over it. Ten days later, I repeat the process--lice gone.

Give her some yogurt that has a live culture in it. Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and honey until honey is dissolved. Mix 2 tablespoons in a half cup of the yogurt and give to the pig. ACV is natures disinfectant, it will kill any bad bacteria and leave the beneficial bacteria alone. Give it to her until the scours stop. Incidentally the ACV and honey works well for people too, it will even take out food poisoning.

Is she up, active, alert and just has the squirts? Does she have a good appetite? Or is she droopy, lethargic, not eating and obviously sick? Droopy and sick, call the vet.

I have posted about raising pigs. I am by no means any kind of expert on pigs, I am still learning. Pigs are fairly easy to raise, you get a lot of meat from a pig! I am including links to my pig adventures.

Our current feeder pigs.
https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/baymule’s-pigs-2018-herefords.37448/

Our third time to have pigs.
https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/baymules-pigs-2017-2018.36803/

Our second batch of feeder pigs.
https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/feeder-pigs-2017.35395/

Our first feeder pigs.
https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/feeder-pigs.32154/

The hut I built for the pigs.
https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/hawg-hut-or-goat-or-sheep-or-dhs-new-digs.32088/

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You’re good @Latestarter I do work with pigs. How old is your weaner pig? Is there vomit with the scours? What color is the scours? Weight? These are just a few questions to get an idea behind the scours, weaning is a stressful time. I actually raise pigs on a commercial scale, where I’m weaning over 2000 piglets a week so it’s different from a back yard animal, but we do vaccinate against PRRS, circovirus, and mycoplasma at wean. Sometimes a shot of draxxin. As far as wormer we don’t worm, and I’ve never wormed pigs anywhere else.
no vomit just the scours and when we first got her it was a yellow color and now it is more of a brown and it will be firm sometimes. she weighs about 7 or 8 lbs the man told us she was 10 weeks old but she was really skinny when we got her she is fairly short so im thinking she might be younger then the man is telling us.

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is her. Her name is Stinker-bell. she was sleeping a lot when we first got her but now she is a little more active but I noticed that she will only eat her feed if it is wet is that normal?

Attachments

• stinkerbell.jpg
    stinkerbell.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 166

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know there are quite a few similar posts in the pig section... Not sure if you've done much browsing there yet. @Farmer Connie might be able to help... Haven't seen @misfitmorgan in WAY too long (Hope her and fam are OK), I think @High Desert Cowboy works with hogs but I apologize if I've named the wrong member... My brain isn't working real well right now. There are lots of folks who have or had pigs... @Mini Horses @Baymule @mysunwolf @frustratedearthmother

Hope you get the answers you're seeking. Good luck and hope you'll share updates and pics :D
sorry I thought that I was in the pig section lol I must have hit the wrong thing :oops: I am bad about doing stuff like that lol.

Latest posts