What do i need to know ?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
sorry I thought that I was in the pig section lol I must have hit the wrong thing :oops: I am bad about doing stuff like that lol.
You are in the pig section! Stinker-Bell looks really small. You are right, she might be younger that what was told to you or she could have been the runt. I have not raised pigs, do not keep a sow, so don't know a lot about that. I just raise feeder pigs. I am sure with lots of good care, which you are providing, she will be ok and will make a fine pig.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I looked up Ethelsville, Al and got a chuckle. Population 81 on the 2010 census. I love it! My husband is from Killen, Al, the family moved to Florence, Al when he was 10 years old. He has been in Texas most of his life. North Alabama is some beautiful country.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
As Bay pointed out, you ARE in the pig section... you did nothing wrong, I was just saying that there's a lot of info here if you've had a chance to browse around. By all means post any questions you have, but look around and see what else you might find. I've learned a lot, that I wasn't even looking to learn, just by browsing. :)

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When raising pigs for meat are there certain vaccines they will need?
Meat pigs (piglets) 1/2 cc ivermectin shot behind the ear. If on dirt, asap- if it was me.
How often should I worm them?
ONLY if signs are showing and 30 days before processing. BUT ORAL- 1 cc per 100#. We don't inject our meat pigs for residual reasons.
Also the new piglet has the scours im not sure if it is because she is just weaned
Scours could be a sign of an early ween. The digestive system could be in shock from change in diet substance. But scours is a sign of cocci infecction. 1/2 cc ivermectin behind the ear is reccomended.. if it were mine.
I have now (wazine)
Throw the wazine in the garbage or save it for you chickens. I don't trust it for meat production. It is a round worm treatment any way.

Economically raising a pig: PROTEIN= MEAT/CARBS = FAT.
At six months of age you will be targeting your slaughter. After 6 mons, that's when the pig will start aging, not growing. What happens to us when WE age? We get fatter, not taller.
There are so many things I'd like to share with you but I am crunched on time. But you are in good hands with the members of this site.
One more thing.. YORKSHIRE PIGS SUN BURN! Lots of shade please. They have no sweat glands, that's why they love cool mud. Gotta go! good luck.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m sorry but 7-8 lbs for a 10 week pig? I wean at 28 days and those are at least 18 lbs. avg is more like 22. I’d wager looking at her with her weight she’s either a real sick 3 week old or maybe he meant 10 days. The change from yellow to brown is the change in diet, milk will be a yellow scours. Ears are up which is good but she definitely doesn’t look healthy. she now has the benefit of no longer having to scrap for a meal however. Keep her fed, hydrated, and warm. In the long run she probably won’t gain the weight you want as fast as you want, but she’ll get there.

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I looked up Ethelsville, Al and got a chuckle. Population 81 on the 2010 census. I love it! My husband is from Killen, Al, the family moved to Florence, Al when he was 10 years old. He has been in Texas most of his life. North Alabama is some beautiful country.
lol yes Ethelsville is very small all we have is a post office and a bank:lol: but it is very beautiful and quiet here perfect for farming:love

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Meat pigs (piglets) 1/2 cc ivermectin shot behind the ear. If on dirt, asap- if it was me.
ONLY if signs are showing and 30 days before processing. BUT ORAL- 1 cc per 100#. We don't inject our meat pigs for residual reasons.
Scours could be a sign of an early ween. The digestive system could be in shock from change in diet substance. But scours is a sign of cocci infecction. 1/2 cc ivermectin behind the ear is reccomended.. if it were mine.

Throw the wazine in the garbage or save it for you chickens. I don't trust it for meat production. It is a round worm treatment any way.

Economically raising a pig: PROTEIN= MEAT/CARBS = FAT.
At six months of age you will be targeting your slaughter. After 6 mons, that's when the pig will start aging, not growing. What happens to us when WE age? We get fatter, not taller.
There are so many things I'd like to share with you but I am crunched on time. But you are in good hands with the members of this site.
One more thing.. YORKSHIRE PIGS SUN BURN! Lots of shade please. They have no sweat glands, that's why they love cool mud. Gotta go! good luck.
thank you for the info you where able to give will deff. be getting the ivermectin I do belive she was weaned to early and I was lied to about her age

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I’m sorry but 7-8 lbs for a 10 week pig? I wean at 28 days and those are at least 18 lbs. avg is more like 22. I’d wager looking at her with her weight she’s either a real sick 3 week old or maybe he meant 10 days. The change from yellow to brown is the change in diet, milk will be a yellow scours. Ears are up which is good but she definitely doesn’t look healthy. she now has the benefit of no longer having to scrap for a meal however. Keep her fed, hydrated, and warm. In the long run she probably won’t gain the weight you want as fast as you want, but she’ll get there.
the bad part is she was skinnier than that when we first got her but she has put a little weight on since then I am thinking he lied about her age he was selling the piglets very cheap .. a new symptom started today she is now making a coughing sound :hide i will prob end up calling the vet im beginning to think that raising our own meat is going to be much more costly

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You seem to have been taken advantage of. I can't stand people who do that. I think I would call him and tell him what a jerk he is.

Raising a pig for meat is a very satisfying experience. Pigs generally are extremely healthy and practically indestructible. Just look at the feral hogs that overrun the country! You are getting off to a rough start, hang in there. I hope she is ok.

Latest posts