What do you feed your Great Pyrenees?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feed whatever is on sale up to a point. I won't buy Old Roy from Walmart. Pedigree has been the choice right now, Purina dog chow is common too. My house dogs get grain free from Costco.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I feed myself junk food and crap... really unhealthy dietary habits over all :hide I figured I'd try to do a better job with Mel (& I'm really trying to improve my diet as well). He does also get any meat/fat scraps when I cook meat, bones from cooked hams/beef, and cooked eggs every now and again. He also gets a large dog biscuit and ~1.5-2 cups of yogurt most every morning, sometimes milk, sometimes cheeses. He eats pretty well (for a dog) all things considered... With all the incidental stuff he gets, it's really no wonder his dog food lasts as long as it does... which is kinda nice when the food is costing $40-60 a bag for ~28-40lbs

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The price of dog food is insane and my cat's super high protein diet is more than that for 1/2 the amount.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Yeah...:hit Kinda like us humans... it costs a LOT more to eat right/healthy than it does to eat junk/crap food... Probably why only the rich can afford to eat that way :duc I can't imagine spending that kind of $$ to feed a cat... sorry, just not a cat person at all. At least the cat won't eat the same quantity as a dog, so though the price is the same for 1/2 as much, it should last as long I would think.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fortunately my cats don't eat like the dogs. I have three cats and one of them had IBS, we tried everything, and a switch to super high protein food solved the problem but that means all three cats eat it. I will say that their coats are gorgeous and they don't shed anymore. And believe me, paying what I pay is better than what I was cleaning up every day.

I don't understand how someone that likes animals can not like a cat :idunno I have owned a cat, or been owned by a cat, since I was old enough to say the word.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If I'm sitting down and a friendly cat jumps in my lap, I'll give it love and attention. I don't "mind" friendly cats, and I do like kittens (all baby animals actually), it's just most cats are so independent and want to own me, and I don't wish to be owned. They are also so/to temperamental... friendly one moment, then biting and scratching the heck out of you... They are also a feral animal nightmare and the largest single killer of native wildlife such as song birds and small mammals. And they do it for fun, not for food. I shoot feral cats.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
You make some valid points. I have one indoor/outdoor kitty that found me a few years ago, the other two stay inside and can only hunt in their dreams. Now when outside kitty brings me a mouse/gopher/mole/vole/rat she gets my blessings and praises but I prefer that she keeps them outside. :sick I have never seen her with a bird but not saying that it doesn't happen. The chickens have taught her a thing or two so maybe she avoids feathers. But you are right, they are very independent and can be very fickle; I think that they still have two feet in the jungle. But I like them all the same.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
No problem at all with the cats killing vermin... rats, mice, moles, voles, gophers, but they generally don't stick with just those... :( Had stray cats in CO and would find "exploded" doves in my back yard too frequently... :hitI have seen a cat here on my property on several occasions and have not shot it. I have a pretty decent gopher/mole/vole population right now making dirt piles all over my yard an fields. Long as the cat's killing them, it's welcome here.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yup I am not a cat person either. My parents had one that acted like a dog and rough housed with my dog, only cat I ever really liked much. Stray cats are a very bad thing for wild animals, very true .

People can eat healthy without being rich. It's just a lot of work. Eating naturally and raising your own food...what can be healthier than that?

That being said I tried to make dog food and it would be fine for my mutt but did not work for my alano. So back to the dog food aisle I went.

Latest posts