What do you feed your Great Pyrenees?

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I feel like I am slacking on the feed for my LGDs. I feed my injured Pyr Sportmix for Coop that has highest protein and fat content. I feed my other Pyr their cheaper food for maintenance, this is what works the best to keep him in shape. The puppy gets Diamond Naturals Large Breed puppy food. I never imagined I would ever have 3 different diets for 3 different dogs....

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Dont have LGDs but we feed out four pups chicken hearts & gizzards & cooked rice mixed with retriever bites from tractor supply then topped with fish oil. Oddly enough that is what they prefer over the expensive stuff. They also get goat or beef bones from a local butcher/acquaintance once to twice a week and also whatever they scavenge around the farm during the day.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
We feed our dogs retriever hi pro from tractor supply. My dogs eat it just as well and do fine compared to the no grain whole feed we were eating. Obviously more biproduct means more waste....and tons more poop.... and gas....

They don't mind and eat it right up.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feed Good Friends brand dog food from Rural King....the dogs LOVE it! And they look glossy on it, so I'm quite pleased that it only cost $11 for 40#. Feed the same brand to the cats and they are healthy and glossy on it too...$7 for 18#.

They all also get a lot of veggies, fruit, and raw meat scraps and bones from various butchering seasons and even from a fresh road kill deer. The dogs also get a raw egg now and again. The dogs, cats and chickens also eat whatever they catch...rabbit, squirrel, rodents, etc. Kitchen scraps every other day or so.

They pretty much eat by the seasons~I forage for apples and pumpkins in the fall, which turn into dog and chicken feed(they all prefer the pumpkins well rotted), many deer killed here in the fall result in tons of fresh meat and offal, with bones and scraps saved in the freezer for later in the year, chickens killed twice a year and they get bones and scraps from that, they eat dropped fruits from the peach trees...Ben usually picks his own right off the tree, that rat!, in garden season they are getting canning scraps, spoiled veggies, etc.

Latest posts