1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. On Jan. 1, 2017, antibiotic use on farms will become more restricted as a result of the Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD). Learn more about calf nutrition supplements and calf health here!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official BYH Caption Contest - Pic by Sfogg
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Featured Thread: Orphaned Spanish goats
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

What do you feed your Great Pyrenees?

Discussion in 'Livestock Guardians' started by Green Acres Farm, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Jan 7, 2017
    dejavoodoo114

dejavoodoo114 Loving the herd life

I feel like I am slacking on the feed for my LGDs. I feed my injured Pyr Sportmix for Coop that has highest protein and fat content. I feed my other Pyr their cheaper food for maintenance, this is what works the best to keep him in shape. The puppy gets Diamond Naturals Large Breed puppy food. I never imagined I would ever have 3 different diets for 3 different dogs....

Green Acres Farm and Alexz7272 like this.
  2. Jan 7, 2017
    Alexz7272

Alexz7272 Loving the herd life

Dont have LGDs but we feed out four pups chicken hearts & gizzards & cooked rice mixed with retriever bites from tractor supply then topped with fish oil. Oddly enough that is what they prefer over the expensive stuff. They also get goat or beef bones from a local butcher/acquaintance once to twice a week and also whatever they scavenge around the farm during the day.

Green Acres Farm likes this.
  3. Jan 7, 2017
    Ferguson K

Ferguson K True BYH Addict

We feed our dogs retriever hi pro from tractor supply. My dogs eat it just as well and do fine compared to the no grain whole feed we were eating. Obviously more biproduct means more waste....and tons more poop.... and gas....

They don't mind and eat it right up.

Baymule and Green Acres Farm like this.
  4. Jan 10, 2017
    Green Acres Farm

Green Acres Farm Loving the herd life