What do you guys use for wormer? Ivermectin vs. Ivermax?

arabianequine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I will be buying some wormer tomorrow. I was told by my feed store that ivermectin injectable and iver max are the same thing. Just ivermax is a generic brand so it is cheaper? Would I still give this orally and is it ok for pregnant does? How much do I give to them?

Goatmasta

Reaction score
I use ivermec, mostly the pour on. The injectable is expensive, but will work fine. The dosage for both is 1cc/22lbs given orally. Some may disagree with that dosage, however,injectable @ that dose delivers 600 mcg/kg of body weight. And the pour on @ that dosage delivers 500 mcg/kg of body weight. So it is the same amount of actual ivermectin basically.

willowbreezefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I use horse past Ivermectin for my goats. Its all the same.. I take the goats weight and times it by 3 and that is how I know how much to give through horse wormer paste. I also do the same when I use safe guard I just buy one tube of horse paste and I can normally worm three goats with one tube.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
The way we at our farm dose ivermec...we'd have to give HALF a TUBE of paste to a 75 lb goat (we aim for 600-800 mcg of ivermec). That would be a LOT of tubes for us, and a lot to force the goats to swallow.

arabianequine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a difference in ivermectin or ivermax? Can I use the ivermax orally? Is the only difference between the two price?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
arabianequine said:
Does anyone know if there is a difference in ivermectin or ivermax? Can I use the ivermax orally? Is the only difference between the two price?
Ivermectin is the name of the actual drug...you'll find several medications that contain it.
I use Ivomec 1% Injectible...it contains 1% ivermectin...there are several generics that are the same as that.

A google search shows that there is a Ivermax, Ivermax Plus and an Ivermax Pour On
Ivermax Injection for Cattle / Swine: 1% Ivermectin
Ivermax Plus: 1% Ivermectin with 10% Clorsulon
Ivermax Pour On: 5 mg ivermectin/ml

arabianequine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
elevan said:
arabianequine said:
Ivermectin is the name of the actual drug...you'll find several medications that contain it.
I use Ivomec 1% Injectible...it contains 1% ivermectin...there are several generics that are the same as that.

A google search shows that there is a Ivermax, Ivermax Plus and an Ivermax Pour On
Ivermax Injection for Cattle / Swine: 1% Ivermectin
Ivermax Plus: 1% Ivermectin with 10% Clorsulon
Ivermax Pour On: 5 mg ivermectin/ml
Thank you, I did not think to google that. I will check the bottle today when I am at the feed store.

arabianequine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
http://www.drugs.com/pro/ivermax-injection.html

This is what I was going to get yesterday but I did not because it said 1% sterile solution and me and the feed store workers could not find where it said ivermectin 1% anywhere. It looks like that is what it has in it on website above however.

That was $25.99 at my feed store and it was a small bottle.

The Ivermex pour on is cheaper online through ALS it is $15.95 for 250ml and it says 5 mg ivermectin/ml.

My understanding is that it is safe to give both of these to your goats ORALLY and if PREGNANT?

If I understand right if I use the Ivermax pour on I give 1ml for ever 22 lbs of body weight orally and if I use the ivermax injectable I give 1ml for every 75lbs of body weight/orally too? Basically we give goats the lower of both kinds the swine dose?

Also just wondering why don't the manufactures say it is ok for goats, does anyone know?

What about safe guard horse paste wormer? A guy at the feed store says he uses that and doubles the weight on it for goats?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
they haven't tested it for goats, so they can't say it is okay.

Safegaurd is fine for pregnant goats,

If you just have one or two goats, getting a tube of horse wormer is probably the cheapest way to go. a tube of ivermectin is normally just 3 or 4 bucks, if there is praziquantel in it for tapeworms it will be near $11

a GOOD RULE OF THUMB: is give the goat 3 times the dosage recommended for a horse.

Safegaurd horse wormercontains fenbendazole
Panacur horse wormeris 10% fenbendazole

equimax horse wormercontains ivermectin and praziquantel(for tapeworms)
agri-mectin paste horse wormeris ivermectin

quest horse wormeris the same as cydectin
quest plus is cydectin plus praziquantel

Any of these can be used on pregnant goats, The one wormer that you don't want to use is caledl valbazene and as far as I know not labeled for horses it is the active drug, 11.36% Albendazole.

a small bottle of safeqaurd oral drench is $20 bucks give at the rate of 7cc per 100 lbs or 1cc per 14lbs, this is 3x the label dosage.

Goatmasta

Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
they haven't tested it for goats, so they can't say it is okay.

Safegaurd is fine for pregnant goats,

If you just have one or two goats, getting a tube of horse wormer is probably the cheapest way to go. a tube of ivermectin is normally just 3 or 4 bucks, if there is praziquantel in it for tapeworms it will be near $11

a GOOD RULE OF THUMB: is give the goat 3 times the dosage recommended for a horse.

Safegaurd horse wormercontains fenbendazole
Panacur horse wormeris 10% fenbendazole

equimax horse wormercontains ivermectin and praziquantel(for tapeworms)
agri-mectin paste horse wormeris ivermectin

quest horse wormeris the same as cydectin
quest plus is cydectin plus praziquantel

Any of these can be used on pregnant goats, The one wormer that you don't want to use is caledl valbazene and as far as I know not labeled for horses it is the active drug, 11.36% Albendazole.

a small bottle of safeqaurd oral drench is $20 bucks give at the rate of 7cc per 100 lbs or 1cc per 14lbs, this is 3x the label dosage.
Any wormer with a flukicide (such as praziquantel or clorsulon) are not safe for pregnant does. It is better not to do anything at all in the first 50 days. Any dewormer, change in feed, feed through products etc. can cause a doe to slip her eggs and not implant at all.

Latest posts