What do you guys use for wormer? Ivermectin vs. Ivermax?

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
We have recently started using Ivomec 1% Ivermectin for cattle and administering it orally. I have heard it is best to have a couple different wormers on hand though, as some wormers work better killing certain parasites/worms where others are better killing other parasites/worms.

willow_top_farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a really thin lactating Saanen doe (nursing two kids) and it has been suggested that I worm her, as a possible reason of her being so thin. (I'm giving her 10 cups of high quality grain mix + 6 cups of beet pulp + hay) (She was wormed last in April of this year.) I have ivomec injectable for cattle and swine that was given to me from a man who sold me his milkstand and was getting out of goats. However, he had Nigerian wethers and I'm concerned about the milk. Should I use this, at what dosage, and will this affect the milk for the kids and for home use? I will probably send a fecal to the vet first, just to see what her worm load is, if any. I'm considering weaning the kids and milking her only once a day to help her put weight back on, but what do you think? The kids are 8 weeks old and are part pig by the way they nurse her!

And am I reading this right...I can give the injectibles as an oral drench?

arabianequine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You should be starting to wean the kids at that age. Maybe cut back to once a day. Not sure how people do it.

Yes people are saying you can give the Ivermectin pour on and injectable orally.

I don't believe it will hurt the milk or kids from drinking it or people but I could be wrong. Someone else should chime in. You might be able to google it too and see what you find.

Good luck!

Goatmasta

Reaction score
willow_top_farm said:
I have a really thin lactating Saanen doe (nursing two kids) and it has been suggested that I worm her, as a possible reason of her being so thin. (I'm giving her 10 cups of high quality grain mix + 6 cups of beet pulp + hay) (She was wormed last in April of this year.) I have ivomec injectable for cattle and swine that was given to me from a man who sold me his milkstand and was getting out of goats. However, he had Nigerian wethers and I'm concerned about the milk. Should I use this, at what dosage, and will this affect the milk for the kids and for home use? I will probably send a fecal to the vet first, just to see what her worm load is, if any. I'm considering weaning the kids and milking her only once a day to help her put weight back on, but what do you think? The kids are 8 weeks old and are part pig by the way they nurse her!

And am I reading this right...I can give the injectibles as an oral drench?
Yes oral drench for both. Both injectable and the pour on ivermec should be dosed @ 1cc/22lbs (orally). Do not under dose! There is a withdrawal time for humans (according to who you talk to it varies from 4-36 days. I used 14 days max) the babies nursing the doe will be fine no withdrawal for them. As a reference the dosages are listed on my blog...

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
:thumbsup

I had my vet out and checked this with him as well and he said oral is just fine and maybe better since you avoid getting an injection site lump that could take a long time to go away.

And the other folks are right about getting a fecal first-I was all set to just give them either Safeguard or Ivomec without knowing what worms I needed to treat for and then got a fecal done-turned out that I didn't need to treat at all right now. Treating them could have actually promoted creating a resistant worm so I am glad I held off and got the test done (thanks ya'll!!!)

arabianequine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Melissa said:
:thumbsup

I had my vet out and checked this with him as well and he said oral is just fine and maybe better since you avoid getting an injection site lump that could take a long time to go away.

And the other folks are right about getting a fecal first-I was all set to just give them either Safeguard or Ivomec without knowing what worms I needed to treat for and then got a fecal done-turned out that I didn't need to treat at all right now. Treating them could have actually promoted creating a resistant worm so I am glad I held off and got the test done (thanks ya'll!!!)
I did too. Same thing no worms or larva. :thumbsup