What do you guys use for wormer? Ivermectin vs. Ivermax?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've used it(praziqantel) several times on pregnant goats, but that is a good point.

Safegaurd or an ivermectin is probably much better bet, in the earlier stages of pregnancy and much safer.

edited to ad: One should plan ahead and prepare their doe for breeding, so they don't have to do a lot of things to the doe at the beginning of pregnancy.

Thank you for reminding me.

arabianequine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I do believe it is the later stage of pregnancy if they are pregnant or just really fat. I just got my 3 does a couple months ago. I will use the safe guard for now I think since I have some. Normally they are 100 lb do I give 300 on the horse paste tube? I am sure they are a bit heavier carrying kids?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
arabianequine said:
I do believe it is the later stage of pregnancy if they are pregnant or just really fat. I just got my 3 does a couple months ago. I will use the safe guard for now I think since I have some. Normally they are 100 lb do I give 300 on the horse paste tube? I am sure they are a bit heavier carrying kids?
yes, give them the 300lbs on the horse tube.
and technically with safegaurd you can give it 3 days in a row. I would if you are seeing problems with them.

Edited to ad: I just read back my previous post about preparing your doe before getting bred, and realized this may have sounded like I was being critical of you. I didn't mean it that way, sorry.

arabianequine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I did not take it that way. ;) I have went through alot with these 3 does in the 2 months I have had them however. I posted all my troubles over on byc in other live stock. I have learned a ton.

They have had ivermectin horse paste x2 each (well one had the ivermectin inject-able instead the last time but she was really sick) but I think they are doing really well since their sick spell after only being here 2 weeks and thought maybe I should use the safeguard to get the tape worms in case they are immune to something in the ivermectin. Also the bigger boer I have is huge in the belly and I think she will kid before a month is over so people on byc were saying to worm her and give her cdt now. I have not took pics of her since the 25th of june maybe I will do that again soon.

I have a thread on here with pics from the 25th of june too. It drives me crazy that I don't know for sure if they are pregnant and an approx. due date.

That is where I get confused that the feed store guy says to double the horse paste and others say to triple it. I guess if you can give it 3 days though it won't kill her if I give too much once. I will give pro bias too first and wait like 5 min or so before giving the wormer some say that makes the wormer work better?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
arabianequine said:
I did not take it that way. ;) I have went through alot with these 3 does in the 2 months I have had them however. I posted all my troubles over on byc in other live stock. I have learned a ton.

They have had ivermectin horse paste x2 each (well one had the ivermectin inject-able instead the last time but she was really sick) but I think they are doing really well since their sick spell after only being here 2 weeks and thought maybe I should use the safeguard to get the tape worms in case they are immune to something in the ivermectin. Also the bigger boer I have is huge in the belly and I think she will kid before a month is over so people on byc were saying to worm her and give her cdt now. I have not took pics of her since the 25th of june maybe I will do that again soon.

I have a thread on here with pics from the 25th of june too. It drives me crazy that I don't know for sure if they are pregnant and an approx. due date.
for tapeworms you need to do 3 days in a row.

Goatmasta

Reaction score
I wouldn't be afraid to do 4x on the horse paste. definitely would not be afraid of 3x...:)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
arabianequine said:
I will give pro bias too first and wait like 5 min or so before giving the wormer some say that makes the wormer work better?
It doesn't make the dewormer work better....Probios help replenish and keep alive the good flora (bacteria) of the goat's gut so that the goat feels better :)

arabianequine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am sending out a pool fecal sample from my does to be tested at WSU tomorrow.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
arabianequine said:
I am sending out a pool fecal sample from my does to be tested at WSU tomorrow.
:thumbsup

:clap

That's the smartest thing to do...then you'll *know* if they need it, and what to use.