What do you say?

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I myself will ONLY ever say buck and doe, but I know alot of people say (sorry this is hard for me).......billy and nanny. I was wondering what most people here on BYH's says.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
I've said both before. I'm getting more on the buck/doe side lately though.

doxiemoxie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Normally buck and doe, but I had my ram first, nicknamed "Bucky" so when I got a buck he became "Billy." And my ancient doe is named "nanny" so I can't call my other girls that. (yes, sometimes we are very clever with names :rolleyes:)

pridegoethb4thefall

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Its funny to think there is a 'PC' way to describe goats...of all things. At one time billy and nanny was totally accepted and the norm (wasnt it?), now its not. I wonder why? Its NOT as if the animals themselves get offended.

Is it more of a "I use buck and doe because I am obviously more superior in goat husbandry/knowlege than you and am using the obviously more correct and 'with the times' verbage " kinda thing? A way of seperating ourselves from the outdated hillbillies who still use such names? Or just that its the right term, always has been, always will be, and we use the terms because we always have?

I wonder sometimes, why does it matter, really? Is a doe less a doe if its called a nanny, a buck less a buck if called a billy?

No offense intended to anyone. Before I actually had goats, I had NO idea a female was called a 'doe'. Now its the only term I use, other than 'dam' to describe a doe. As well, I only say buck, not billy. (caving to the PC world.. :lol:)

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use buck and doe, although since I talk about goats to young nephews and other people who don't know the terminology, I do use "boy-goat" and "girl-goat" quite frequently

meme

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I always say buck and does, it just sounds better to me. However, in my Animal Science class we were talking about what female and male animals were called for each species. My teacher knows I show a dairy goat, so she asked me what a female goat was called. When I said doe, she just gave me s strange look and said, .........."or commonly known as a nanny, right?" :rolleyes: As you can tell, my FFA group mostly deals with cattle, lambs, and swine. Meat or nothin' round here. Makes me feel like a rebel.... :lol:

LadyIsabelle2011

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I said billy and nanny when I was little but started using buck and doe once I could use a computer and learned more about them. Of course my first buck was named Billy, and I bet you if I had an older doe around here her name would be Nanny ;) Out of complete respect of course :lol: