What do you think?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
BYC made the conversion to a new platform a little over a month ago. The change was needed to keep BYC functioning and to ease some server stress on the sister sites. If you've been on the new BYC, I'm curious as to what you all think about it. I have to say that some of my favorite things are: the ease of posting in a rich text format, the simplified method of adding articles and the ease of adding pics. What do you like or dislike about the new platform that BYC is on? What are your thoughts about BYH making a similar move and gaining the features that BYC has?

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Personally, I find it a bit overwhelming at BYC...and really love BYH so much more. For me it is easier and I liked and went to BYC more before they changed to their new format....that's my 2 cents worth:)

marlowmanor

Reaction score
I'm not on BYC much anyway. I have a few threads I follow and I have them bookmarked on the computer. I don't know that I could find them easily otherwise! The new BYC format is nice for some things, I like that the color option is in the posting options as well as the text size. They have a couple new smilies too. I'm sure if I fiddled with it a whole day I could figure out how to navigate it well but since I am not on it as much as I am on BYH I haven't done it. If BYH is going to the same format soon I should probably fiddle with BYC one day and figure out how to navigate it well.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I find the new BYC extremely slow. I work in computer software, so I do know what I am talking about. I know it is not my computer. I know it is not my connection. Honestly, I don't get on BYC anymore. I have gotten email addresses for the few persons that I care about and send emails to people when I want to buy hatching eggs and do all of my business outside of BYC. BYC in the past was all about the members and helping each other, but when you look at the page and see how much is taken up by advertisements, it does not look like the forum is the focus any more. What does Nike shoes have to do with chickens. I am sorry for the negativity, but changes to handle the volume and increase performance could have been done without adding all of the other stuff. I just logged on to BYC, reports 19 viewing and 5 guests. I remember the day when the persons logged on was in the 100s and there were 100s of guests. That speaks volumes.

I fear the day when BYH changes as I am afraid it to will become slow and unusable.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Yeah, I do not really like the new platform to be frank. It just isn't very "cozy" or as easy to navigate.

CheerioLounge

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I agree that the new BYC is slow. After struggling to navigate the new format, I came across some helpful posts that made it somewhat more bearable. I had to switch my browser to Chrome and use the AD Block add-in to remove all the ads from the page. I also checked all the boxes in "Site Preferences" and "Forum Preferences" under the "Edit Account Details" section on my profile page. This "turns off" user's avatars, signatures, etc. It also removes almost everything on the right side of the page. Making these changes has made it easier to navigate.

I used to be VERY active on BYC, especially greeting new members, but I am very rarely there anymore. I have bookmarked the threads that have information I use. I spend more time here and at Sufficient Self.

I am hoping that the fact that the three sister sites combined have just over 10% the number of users BYC has will make navigation easier, if indeed this change is imminent. There's my 2 cents... FWIW.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I'm curious if those of you who say that "navigation is difficult" on BYC would elaborate? I just don't understand what you mean by that. Are you talking about the forum...finding articles...speed...or something else entirely?

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Great comments and feedback everybody. It is much needed and appreciated!!

:thumbsup

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't mind the new format though I don't go over there as often as I did before the change. I can't use my phone to get on there at all. I downloaded tapatalk, but didn't care for it, so I only go on BYC if I am at home on my laptop. It seems to run well on my laptop though, no issues with it being slow. The only thing I really don't like about it is the "mark as read" button. I liked it better when I clicked on it for the section I was in and it automatically took me back to the main index, now I have to click the button, verify what I want to mark (the section or the whole forum), then click on the index or whatever section to which I want to go next. Just extra steps. Not a big deal but a little annoying.

CheerioLounge

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
elevan said:
I'm curious if those of you who say that "navigation is difficult" on BYC would elaborate? I just don't understand what you mean by that. Are you talking about the forum...finding articles...speed...or something else entirely?
I'm talking primarily about speed. The appearance is considerably "busier" than the previous format without the changes I mentioned in my previous post. The "reviews" and "articles" are unnecessary IMO.

On a positive note... I do like that one can now search within a thread; a major improvement over the old BYC's search functionality. :thumbsup