What do you think?

pridegoethb4thefall

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
elevan said:
The option to keep the old format was not an option. IF BYC had continued on the old format and server it would have crashed and the data there would have been lost. BYC would have been gone. This thread isn't to discuss why we can't move backwards with BYC. The owner of these sites and staff worked very hard to make a decision that would keep BYC running. The move has already been made for BYC and there is no going back to the old platform.

Keep your feedback coming on the new BYC platform's features.
Didnt mean to sound confrontational or insulting to all the good peeps at BYC whom I know worked very hard to upgrade the site.

I was not suggesting keeping the site the same, I was wondering more if it was possible to use BOTH formats, and then let people choose which one they wanted to use individually. Kinda like Facebook did at one point. Not sure if that was even possible, just a thought. Not trying to turn back time, Simply suggesting an idea for possibilities for when BYH makes the upgrade.

Fierlin

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes, after all, don't things usually get better after they are introduced for the first time? :lol:
I personally would LOVE if you could somehow get that post rankings list back... :fl

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
We had a similar, but less "in-depth" discussion over at SS and KStaven mentioned that there may be a more streamlined version in the works?
There may be a "mobile" version of the site. A true mobile version, not Tapa talk. I believe that is what you're talking about. The potential is there that members could use the mobile version on their regular computer browsers to have a "streamlined" version of the site. There's nothing definite about it, though. I have used other websites mobile versions and been frustrated by the "lack of features" on them. So there are trade offs for each person depending on what they are looking for. As I said, it's not a definite for BYC.

CheerioLounge

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
elevan said:
CheerioLounge said:
We had a similar, but less "in-depth" discussion over at SS and KStaven mentioned that there may be a more streamlined version in the works?
There may be a "mobile" version of the site. A true mobile version, not Tapa talk. I believe that is what you're talking about. The potential is there that members could use the mobile version on their regular computer browsers to have a "streamlined" version of the site. There's nothing definite about it, though. I have used other websites mobile versions and been frustrated by the "lack of features" on them. So there are trade offs for each person depending on what they are looking for. As I said, it's not a definite for BYC.
Honestly, my real concern is SS. I have developed some very strong friendships over there and I would hate for something like a format change to cause some of those folks to become frustrated and leave. I am sure the friendships will endure, but I sure will miss the interactions with them on the forum.

I enjoy coming here for the games (y'all are some great game players!) and for the wealth of information on goats, as goats are my primary livestock interest at his time.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Em,

I don't have an issue with the new format. I actually like it and don't find it hard to navigate. My real concern is the speed and the focus of the site (too many advertisements).

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Speed is a top priority that the engineers are working on. And I appreciate any feedback from those who are having trouble with speed there.

The focus of BYC (and the sister sites) is not changing. We all feel the brunt of prices of everything going up and website owners are no different. The vast membership of BYC and the sister sites is a FREE one. In order to offer a FREE membership, the forums need to show ads to support those who are not paying members. Honestly, would you really want to be required to pay for your membership? Most of our members wouldn't which is why they don't and we don't want them to have to. There are ways around the ads as many have figured out and there are threads on BYC to tell you how to do just that.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll share another thing that I like about the new platform - customization. Each member can customize things to the way that they like them and there are multiple ways of doing a single task allowing users to use the method that they like the best.

Keep your feedback coming. Please provide some detail with your opinions so that we can fully understand where you're coming from and what you're talking about. We appreciate all of your input!

redtailgal

Reaction score
I'll chime in on this.

I like the old platform better, even after learning the platform at BYC. The platform here is simple, and I can get where I want to go with out much searching, or clicking. It's trivial, but a small example, here when I click to mark everything read, its one click at the top right hand corner. On the new platform, I click, and wait a second or two, then click how I want the threads marked read (just this section or all) and then wait a second for it to happen. Just that one act alone takes twice as long.

I dont find the site terribly slow, although I did at first, nor do I find it hard to navigate now (I spend weeks learning the site), but I takes more time to navigate. I hope that made sense.

As for the speed, as I said, I dont find the site terribly slow, but I switched to Chrome (which has made alot of my web surfing better, so it was a good thing, Thanks Em). Chrome did speed up the site dramaticly for me, but what really did the trick installed ADblocker. Once the ads were gone, speed is fine.

I guess my biggest pet peeve about the platform is all the bells and whistles. I think that is what takes away from the community feel of the site. It's very commercial, and visually LOUD. ON this platform, as I am typing this, there is very little going on on the page to distract me, but with the new platform there is "stuff" everywhere, and it makes it hard to focus. I do like having member pages or articles, but the rest of the bells and whistles mean little to me.

I came to the BYH and BYC sites for information first and it quickly grew into coming back to check on my friends. Those are my purposes. Its the PEOPLE who keep me entertained, not the site and "cool features" there of. I, like most others on here, am a farmer. Farmers like simple things, that is just a trait of farmers. We like for things to be simple, efficient, and relaxing (the visual clutter of the new platform is not relaxing). Many of us pop in here during our mini breaks during the day, and just dont have the time to deal with all the stuff that comes with the new platform.

I am very much like that. One of the things that attracted me to this forum was the calm simplicity of the platform. The whole of the internet is very in your face and and I liked finding a place that was not like that. I know it's redundant to say it again, but the new platform is modern and flashy and commercial, but the majority of the members are the exact opposite of modern, flashy and commercial. I am a photographer, my whole world can get very technical, but this platform has been a wonderful reprieve. The new platform continues to be overwhelming to my simple mind.

I cannot imagine trying to use the site with Dial up, and many many people, most esp rural folks, are STUCK with dail-up. We have a choice between dail-up or satellite. We are fortunate enough to be able to pay for the satellite service, but it is VERY costly and I can see how some people just wouldnt be able to afford it, thus rendering the site useless to them. With my satellite, I have limited bandwidth. I have noticed that when I visit BYC, my bandwidth usage is way up. When I use up a certain amount of bandwidth, my internet shuts down and becomes unusable. When BYH switched to the new platform, I will have to be vary careful about how often I visit the site, unless I can convince hubby to upgrade our package (which would cost twice what a GFM would be by the way)

Now all that said...........

I know that our admin put in a lot of thought and consideration. I know that they have been frustrated, and felt unappreciated thru the transition. I hope that the change goes nicely here, because I also know that our admin made the decisions that they have made based on what they thought was the best thing for the forums. Our admin knows things that, we, as general members, do not know and should not know, and therefore I dont think that I have the right to question their decision.

Cost is huge factor. I love that this is a free site. No offense to any of you, but we do have some member who simply could not afford to pay for a membership, and it's often those members who need help in treating a sick or injured critter. The site needs money to function, so the Ads pay the bills, allowing those less fortunate members the option to seek guidance. For that reason alone, I am thankful for the ads. I do wish, however, that advertisers would be more considerate about not slowing down sites with their ads.

I really like having the "like" feature for threads.

Will the change to the new platform affect how I use this site, and how often........Yes, sadly it will. I will not leave, because I love this group of people more than I dont like the new platofrm. I had planned on continuing my GHM here, but probably will not, esp if the new platform pushes me over my bandwidth usage and I have to upgrade my package. lol, hubby is teasing me about having to pay to use the free site.

Change is hard, esp for us "farmer-types". We are a stubborn group. Sometimes, change is good and new is better. I dont think that's the case this time.

BUT, it is workable. Farmer-types are also good at understanding the need for sacrifice. This platform, as lovely as it is, it outdated and will become unstable, so we need to upgrade. It's good business sense, and it's good for us, as it will keep our site and our internet community functioning.

I guess this is a weird analogy, but it just popped into my head so I'll share. At the dairy I worked at, there was Junebug. She was a sweet cow, that did as she was told, and was just a reliable old gal. But, as time past her milk production went down. She had to go. She was sold and her replacement came in. The new cow was not nearly as pretty, and was not as friendly, but she gave more milk than Junebug ever gave. Didnt like her too much, but was grateful that she could keep the farm going.

Sorry for the book, but you asked.

You asked. I'm glad that we have admin that is interested in our thoughts and opinions. It's refreshing to see you considering our opinions. And as much as I dont like the new platform, I do appreciate the need for improvement, and the thought and consideration that has gone into this. I'd give you all a hug if I could.

KinderKorner

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^ Just what she said! I feel the same exact way!

There is a lot of cool new features at BYC!

Some things I really like is how easy it is to post pictures, how you can have edit the font, and how you can quickly skip to any part of the forum from any topic without going back to the main page.

Saying that I still enjoy this format much better.

I actually haven't logged into BYC except a couple times since the change.

I'm a really busy person, and life is crazy. This format is so simple, easy to read, and nice and neat/plain.

The BYC format is overwelming, too much pictures, and stuff going on, I especially dislike the stuff on the side.

I also have limited bandwidth because of my rural location. I do college classes on the internet, and I'm a Web Designer. So it's easy for me to go over.

A thing I learned in photography class. The world is so over stimulated with ads, and lights, and bill boards. Everywhere you look there is something to study and look at. Naturally the eye is attracted to simple, because it gives it rest.

A clean simple look is what I like.

But I wouldn't mind you guys adding the easy picture thing. ;)