What does this behavior mean?

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, I am going to try to describe what my kid is doing. He is a week old. I am not worried about it, I am just trying to learn about goat behavior. I have a small dog that Huckleberry (my baby male goat) likes to play with. They are about the same size. He doesn't try to head butt her...he "chatters" at her and sticks his tongue out and will move his head oddly around. Its so cute and funny. They seem to have a good time together.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well he's pretty young for this but, it sounds like typical buck mating behavior. You don't have a mature buck, so....they are a mess!! They grunt, churtle, stick out their tongue and are otherwise obnoxious boys..pee all over. Etc. You need to find a tube to watch. Pretty funny.
That is what I thought too. What he does is pretty funny, and I am so thankful he is not peeing on himself. It's like he is flirting with her but sometimes he will stomp one hoof. Which is what I thought they did when they felt threatened or something, but he clearly is not afraid of her. He is very curious and will follow her around and run from her. And my little Morkie, Lucy, will try to get him to play. As long as Buttercup is not around, they can play. As soon as mom sees them, she runs Lucy off lol. I have videos of them together and it is so funny. Iam hoping as he grows up, they become friends. He is getting castrated as soon as he is old enough.

Latest posts