What fencer for sheep?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Probly been asked/answered some place before. What fencer do you guys find works well for your sheep? We have wool sheep and the bigger ones keep standing on our current fence and ripping it off the t-posts. We are putting in entirely new pasture and fence which will have a hot hip wire and two hot wires on 5" insulators facing inward above the 47" page wire fence. The entire fencing system on the farm will be about 10-12 miles times 3 wires. We do have some brush/grass that will likely hit the fence at times so low or ultra low impedance is needed. I've been looking at Power Wizard PW 1500 or PW 2000 or Gallagher M800. Any recommendation?

The fence will also be used down the road for goats, very stubborn goats who stay in no fence known to man up to this point. Our herd queen can jump 4.5ft fence and teaches the other goats to jump any fence they can no matter the cost or injury they may incur. The new fence with hot wire will be 5' tall if they dont stay in that one they are going down the road.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've heard Gallagher is good. We use Cyclops for our high tensile fencing...it's low impedance and give us 9K volts on the wire. I like that it's made in the USA and the good reviews it got. We got the Stallion, as we don't have to cover as many acres as you do.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think you’re on the right track with looking at plug in chargers for sheep. Wool makes it challenging for some solar or other auxiliary (not hard wired) powers units to generate enough of a charge to keep them in. Three wires at varying heights where you would imagine their nose would be in a situation will give you a better guarantee of it working as well. One at just above grazing height, one at chest level for them, and one at eye level for your sheep should cover their nose positions because that won’t have the wool insulation. As long as they have good feed in their area and know the fences are there they shouldn’t try your fence too much. It takes extra work but I do know a couple of people who go ahead and whack down any feed within a couple of feet of either side of the fence. It helps prevent tall wet grass from pulling from your wire and it removes the temptation to try and get that greener grass on the other side. Using Hotwire for rotational grazing works so well because you are forcing them to eat the good stuff in their area and moving them before they’ve eaten all the good stuff to a new spot with plenty of feed so they don’t even bother outside the area. Rinse and repeat until your back to square one.
Thats my two cents but I’m sure there are other who will give better recommendations as to which unit works best in your situation or set up. I’ve gotten behind on reading journals so while I know you’ve moved I’m not sure what your setup it anymore.
Good luck

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've heard Gallagher is good. We use Cyclops for our high tensile fencing...it's low impedance and give us 9K volts on the wire. I like that it's made in the USA and the good reviews it got. We got the Stallion, as we don't have to cover as many acres as you do.
Thank you for the info I will look into that brand. Originally I was just looking at gallagher because I know they make a quality product vs some of the cheaper made products. Power wizard came up because I talked to a guy who has been fixing/repairing all types of fencers for 14yrs and he suggested power wizard as a more cost effective option with really good results. Power wizard has a 3yr no hassle warranty that he has used many many times and says it really is hassle free and they stand behind it which also includes lightening strike. Gallagher offers the same warranty but cost $230 more for the M800 which is the same capacity fencer as the PW1500. Gallagher is not low impedance from what I've found and I must admit the lower price tag is attractive. Gallagher also requires you to have a separate lightening diverter and 3 ground rods for the warranty which is another $70.

Seeing as the first section of this new pasture now has cost us slightly over $1,800 we are trying our best to do this new pasture as "right" as we can so we never have to do it again and it actually holds the animals. So in the big scheme a $300 difference is whatever but I am struggling with ultra low impedance and a price break or not.

I think you’re on the right track with looking at plug in chargers for sheep. Wool makes it challenging for some solar or other auxiliary (not hard wired) powers units to generate enough of a charge to keep them in. Three wires at varying heights where you would imagine their nose would be in a situation will give you a better guarantee of it working as well. One at just above grazing height, one at chest level for them, and one at eye level for your sheep should cover their nose positions because that won’t have the wool insulation. As long as they have good feed in their area and know the fences are there they shouldn’t try your fence too much. It takes extra work but I do know a couple of people who go ahead and whack down any feed within a couple of feet of either side of the fence. It helps prevent tall wet grass from pulling from your wire and it removes the temptation to try and get that greener grass on the other side. Using Hotwire for rotational grazing works so well because you are forcing them to eat the good stuff in their area and moving them before they’ve eaten all the good stuff to a new spot with plenty of feed so they don’t even bother outside the area. Rinse and repeat until your back to square one.
Thats my two cents but I’m sure there are other who will give better recommendations as to which unit works best in your situation or set up. I’ve gotten behind on reading journals so while I know you’ve moved I’m not sure what your setup it anymore.
Good luck

We did have a solar charger DH got off his old farm, it lasted for a bit but in winter when they sheep were in full wool they didnt care. Part of the new pasture is the sheep are being close sheared before going in it the first time. We are hoping we can just train them to keep a distance from the fence and thus not have to worry when winter wool comes on.
The new place we are on is only 12 acres but the new fence layout for it is 10 different pens/pastures and each has 3-5 lines of electric wire planned. The fence line atm has zero worry of greenery on it as part of the making of the pasture included renting heavy equipment to clear brush/old logging trash to make room for the fence line. It left a 20-25ft path around the entire pasture of bare dirt which we are taking advantage of atm to burn out the brush and old wood inside the new pasture in patches. As soon as it is burned out sufficiently everything including the lanes is getting a pasture mix seeded into it. The fence layout is such that the sheep can be put into the lanes on the outside of the fence to eat down the greenery there and we will be spraying the actual fence line a couple times a year. Living in michigan and living on ground that stays fairly moist most of the year means we get a lot of grass growth fast and it usually does not die off in summer at all as well as the potential to have some amounts of brush falling against the fence while things are all being cleared by us, machines or animals. I would like to say we will keep on top of it and keep the brush off the lines but in reality life happens and we are not here 24/7.
The first probly year on that pasture will have little greenery to eat as the pasture wont have much time to really take hold. We are building a second and possibly third pasture this year as well where we can seed and give it time to mature for next years needs.
I have to go out later today to paint the cross braces on the corners and I will see if I can remember my phone to get some pictures, historically I have been horrible at remembering such things though. We have all the corner posts, in all the braces in, all the t-posts in and the gate in, today after work we are planning to start installing the page wire.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The two solar fencers I have owned in my life were both Parmak and I was not really impressed with them. Performance of the plug-in vs solar may be very different though. I will say parmak keeps on trucking for years and years for the solar powered ones but with reduced output through that time. The new parmak units are sort of known for going bad not to long after the 3yr warranty runs out. You can get them fixed but for a $80 fencer I'm not sure how worth while it would be as the board is the thing that goes out. Part of looking at gallagher and power wizard is the better parts inside the boxes like larger capacitors, built in lightening protection, GOOD quality plastic for the knobs for leads that does not break, dual boards(vs one on cheaper brands) again more lightening protection, Another built in feature of tabs on the inside of the box for lightening to jump from coming into the box to out to the grounds directly without interacting with the circuit boards. Power wizard specifically went thru a revamp a couple years ago to change to the same capacitor gallagher uses, literally same manufacter serves both companies.
I will say both power wizard and parmak are american made which I do like.
I'm still mostly torn between doing power wizard or gallagher. I have heard cyclops is a good brand, anyone have experience with those?

Latest posts