What got my chicks?

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
One thing I have learned about rats....if ya don't get the Nest you are fighting a Losing battle....ya gotta track em down and Obliderate the 'Source'....or, have animals that Do...I Hate them too!!....and can't Sleep til I get rid of them...though the Cats keep the populations down...along with the snakes around here....we have used the Lids of cans to plug holes...along with a course steel wool....Good Hunting!!

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Found Fedora's remains in the stall. Same damage as Sweet Potato.
image.jpg

This means whatever it was probably came back but gave up.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boy!...sure do Hate that for ya...do not mean to upset you about this...but, are there visible bite marks?....was head chewed off?....and are feathers wet against the body, or defeathered?....with the wings left dry...are there any visible signs of struggle in the area?....if ya don't feel like responding....I totally understand....just trying to Help ya.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boy!...sure do Hate that for ya...do not mean to upset you about this...but, are there visible bite marks?....was head chewed off?....and are feathers wet against the body, or defeathered?....with the wings left dry...are there any visible signs of struggle in the area?....if ya don't feel like responding....I totally understand....just trying to Help ya.
They were so little, no visible bite marks, just no heads. Happened to two of the chicks and one disappeared. The one had feathers, this one didnt, but this was a few days later. Except for wings which as you can see were left intact.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
My best guess is a Rat....since they were so small....a bigger animal would've consumed it or played with it...I think they are about $50-60 at WallyWorld...but a game camera would be a good addition to your Security plan....sorry again for your Losses!!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't buy the $60 game cam at Wallyworld, I did the day the coon killed Fae. The StealthCam was the only one they had because this was in the summer, lots of people buy them for deer hunting season. Terrible night distance. No light in the barn unless a full moon happens to be shining through a window. I did see some rats in the pictures/videos but the camera was maybe 10' from the trap and I couldn't see anything past maybe 15'. Returned it and got a Browning Strike Force from Amazon for just over $100. Much better night distance. Seems a little slow to trigger. I have been using it in video mode and sometimes I have a video with nothing in it and sometimes I see a rat that could only have come in from the direction the camera was facing but the rat was already a few feet into the area.

Latest posts