What Grass Is This?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a few clumps of this grass growing in front of the portable building and in the driveway. It is a clump grass about 8” tall, seed stems about 12” tall, a pretty bluish green color. It contrasts with the bright green of the Poor Joe and Bahia around it. Is this a desirable grass or a scourge that I need to dig up and burn? LOL

FB2C6351-253B-49B7-8263-09412456E216.jpeg

23ED2CF7-4283-446E-8ED4-E57F60A00F03.jpeg

3BACD963-A9A8-40C5-9772-F195C46EEF52.jpeg

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like what I call wood oats. Properly called Longleaf Uniola Chasmanthium sessiliflorum

Description • AKA: Longleaf Woodoats • Native • Warm Season • Perennial • Bunch grass • Grows in tufts from rhizomes • 2 to 3 feet tall • Spikelike panicle 8 to 20 inches long • Flowers are clustered along the panicle • Leaf blade is 12 to 24 inches long and ½” wide; flat at top • Mature seed are black, 1/10” long

Distribution Longleaf Uniola is adapted from east Texas and Oklahoma to the Atlantic coast, north to Virginia. This grass is commonly found in the loblollyshortleaf pine areas. It prefers shade and can not tolerate full sunlight. Longleaf Uniola is adapted to fertile moist, bottom and upland soils of fine and medium textures. However, it will grow on low fertility soils.

Key Characteristics • Grows in shaded conditions • Short, fringed ligule where leaf attaches to stem • Reproduces by seed and rhizomes • Spikelike panicle with flowers clustered sporadically on panicle • Evergreen • Increases after burning • Flowers June – October • 1 – 3 leaves per stem

Uses • Wildlife • Native Landscaping • Silvopasture • Restoration

Comments Longleaf uniola is only moderately palatable to livestock. Because it can not withstand full sun, it is insignificant as forage. It does provide cover for wildlife, and birds will feed upon the seed. Being an evergreen bunch grass, longleaf uniola shows potential as native landscaping, especially in shaded areas.

- 34 - USDA/NRCS East Texas Plant Materials Center

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @greybeard !!! Do you have any growing on your place and do your cattle eat it? I have plenty of shady places, thinking about transplanting some. This is not growing in any pasture areas, but I haven't gone looking either. I guess I could turn the sheep out in the yard (yard-LOL LOL) to see if they go after it. They have a tendency to snack on my husband's Crepe Myrtle and he gets perturbed about that...…

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
If that's the same thing I've got in couple of areas (and it looks like it might be) - both my horses and goats eat it. At least if it's not the perfect forage it won't "take over" your pasture since it doesn't like full sun....and it might get you some decent forage in the shady areas...so I don't think I'd try to eradicate it. :hu But, like you said - put the sheep on it and let 'em test it out!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have none of it here that I know of, but it grows in the National Forest and I have seen some wood oat at my sister's place up the road. Her cows wouldn't eat it....too tough, and that's saying a lot when Beefmasters with their Brahma makeup won't eat something.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I just need to let them out and observe.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I turned the Sheep out. It wasn’t their choice the first day, but day 2 they hugely enjoyed it. I think I’ll transplant and gather seeds when it cools off.

05384752-0D6D-4EA1-8C52-768E2F6EB2BC.jpeg

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
A closer look reveals some other seedheads & appears you have some variety of Kyllinga mixed in as well. A very tough, stemmy, wiry grass and it is very difficult to get rid of.

kyllinga.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't know what it was called, but it is not the sheep's favorite. They will eat it, they go for the seed heads first. Looks like they missed a couple. It makes a big clump. I think I have broom sedge too. They absolutely don't eat that. I'll get pictures and post them for confirmation.

Latest posts