What happened???

JeepGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Please excuse any ramblings, I'm pretty emotional.
I just lost my 8 week old Razorback hog.
I've never seen my husband cry so much, we have no idea what happened.

This happened very rapidly.
Noticed heavy breathing Friday afternoon...she I've been laying in the Sun so I didn't think much of it at first.
Saturday afternoon she started tipping over and just staring off so we took her to the vet. Sunday afternoon she was gone.
She still had a bit of an appetite up until the last few hours.

Symptoms:
Ataxia
Heavy breathing, respirations ~40
Runny nose
Drinking more than usual
Lethargic
NO temperature
Clear lungs

Any ideas??

The vet said he thought it was pneumonia/URI but with no temp and nothing in her lungs he said he thought we just caught it early.

He gave antibiotics, steroids, an anti-inflammatory, and B vitamins.
Sent us home with banamine and vitamin B injections.

I feel like this was something other than just respiratory.
She was our baby. She was sweet and smart and loving and I planned to have her for a long time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200427-181500.png
    Screenshot_20200427-181500.png
    2 MB · Views: 347
  • 20200606_155840.jpg
    20200606_155840.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:

JeepGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Also, she would get a milk, yogurt and pellets mash in the mornings, but she was mostly eating the pellets dry on her own.

When she was on milk only she was syringe fed and I am very careful about aspiration because I deal with a lot of baby animals.
Aspiration pneumonia unless she had dumped her nose into water while I wasn't watching is very unlikely.

WildersMilkMaid

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh no!! Poor baby. So sorry for your loss :(

I almost lost one a few years ago. Just acted off and then would not eat, or get up etc. No runny nose or anything, just not right. Was able to save her but just barely. Can’t remember what all I did, but it included activated charcoal and syringe feeding and water with a syringe etc. She was about 4 months old, so no small task to handle her.

Finally it occurred to us that it had been super wet due to hurricane season here in NC and there were mushrooms popping up everywhere. We think maybe she ate one she wasn’t supposed to. It was so scary. I feel so bad that you went through that. Sending love your way.

JeepGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@WildersMilkMaid
I have definitely been thinking that she had eaten something that she was not supposed to.
Some kind of Spore or something that would affect her lungs as well as show neurological symptoms.

Latest posts