What happens after the show?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If they did not let the lamb go, they would get only the $200. This is called the Premium.

This is what our fair does.

Yes, the fair is going to sell each species in order of championship, after 15 units are sold in order of ribbon status, the remaining animals are not sold in any specific order.

I would like you to talk to your 4H leader to make sure you don't have to sell your animal, but the way I am reading everyone has the right to choose:

option #1 (premium without animal(you bring animal home)

or option #2 Premium plus animal(packer price),

Edited to read better.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
farmchick said:
I feel so confused, hahaha.
I understand option 2,
but on option 1, they're getting paid to take it home? Thats what i dont understand.
Thanks for this help though! :)
If this works like our fair, and I beleive it does. The person paying the premium isn't actually bidding to take your animal home, they are bidding to support you.They are either a family member of yours, or a bussiness person that you have asked to come out and support you. They do not take the animal home. They do it for advertisement and to support 4H youth in the community.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I have no idea what selling the premium is. When I was in 4-H and raised lambs and goats, we all had the option of selling whatever we wanted or keeping what we wanted (except maybe grand and reserve). Anyone could buy the animal, including family.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
In our area you write up a one page buyer letter. you go around to people and companies in your area that you and your family do business with. You hand delvier if possible a letter asking for their support during the auction. Like your feed store, place your parents purchased farm equipement from, bank you have money in. find out from other 4H members and your leader if this is the case.

I have to ask. Are you in a 4H club? FFA in school? Because around her you have to be to show.

farmchick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Im in a 4H club, but this is my first year.
Okay I understand it now! Sounds fair!
Thanks a bunch!

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I need to go for now, I will check back later if you have more questions.

Your local county extension office is another good place to ask questions, along with your 4H or FFA leader.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
If they did not let the lamb go, they would get only the $200. This is called the Premium.

This is what our fair does.

Yes, the fair is going to sell each species in order of championship, after 15 units are sold in order of ribbon status, the remaining animals are not sold in any specific order.

I would like you to talk to your 4H leader to make sure you don't have to sell your animal, but the way I am reading everyone has the right to choose:

option #1 (premium without animal(you bring animal home)

or option #2 Premium plus animal(packer price),

Edited to read better.
But where is the $200 premium coming from? I only know premiums as money from ribbons...but $200? Is your 4-H really giving kids $200 for ribbons? Our fair was $20 for a first place ribbon.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well that is a good point, if you are reading it as a premium is the money paid just for the ribbons and placement, which I hadn't thought of, then you would get no money if you didn't sell your animal and choose to take it home, unless you placed and received a ribbon. At our fair it is 5th place and Higher receives a small amount of money for placement.

I was reading it as the premium meant the bid the buyer was making on the animal during the auction to support the 4H member, with the understanding the buyer wasn't actually getting the animal.
It says; "1. Exhibitors can sell the premium only."

also, It says:
"The animal price will be paid to the exhibitor
in addition to the premium that is auctioned at the sale." If they choose to let the animal go.

It sounds like they are referring to the premium as something that occurs during the auction. Although our fair refers to the premium as the $15 dollars they get for blue, $12 for red, ectt.... that is completly seperate from our auction, so I was thinking their term of the premium is different than the ribbon premium.

"1. Exhibitors can sell the premium only."

Why would they be referring to selling the premium? Why would they put you in the sales book as Premium only, or premium and animal, if you weren't selling anything?

Now I am confussed.

Our fair doesn't do exactly what these rules are referring to, but I have been to many fairs and it amazes me how different they all are with their auction rules.

Thank you for pointing this out.

Farmchick: my advice to you is to talk to people in your area and have your 4H leader explain to you exactly how the fair auction works.

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks Donna

farmchick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Took me a while, but i finally figured it out!
The only auction our fair has is the premium auction.
All the animals who recieve a purple ribbon are put into the auction, and its 'auctioned' off, except you don't actually get rid of the animal, the buyers are just supporting the 4h-er.
They told me last year the average for a sheep was $200!