What/how to feed a rejected baby goat?

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello all! I don't know how many of you saw my emergency post about rounding up a bunch of goats that have escaped but aren't mine. Well, my old man friend's friend (we'll call him Mr. J) has been looking after the farm and letting me help out. We never managed to get the goats back in the fence, as they won't come to food, shaking grain, or anything. We can't even approach them from different sides and attempt to herd them! Turns out one of the goats was pregnant, had her kid by the fence, and then left. Mr. J has been monitoring them and said the mother hasn't come back at all. I'm afraid the mother has "rejected" the baby and won't come back near the fence to feed her. This is my first time ever taking care of goats so I'm at a total loss! Could I drive to a grocery store and purchase goat milk to feed to her if the mom doesn't come back? Should I wrap her in a blanket? Mr. J's opinion is just "it happens" so he's no help there! Any help is appreciated, I'd hate to lose the first baby goat I've ever had the opportunity to work with.

Sunny Searle

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Milking her mom would be the best way to get the milk but it sounds like that's not an option. The baby really needs colostrum so if you have any friends with goats you should ask if they have any. They do sell goat milk replacer at cal ranch and Walmart and d& b, my mom says that the can just have cows milk, you might want to check that out. Get the kid warm and dry and put iodine on her umbilical cord. What breed is she? Any pics? Good luck!

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi Sunny Searle! Unfortunately, milking the mom isn't possible, though it would have been my first choice! I spent about 30 minutes trying to get her but that just wasn't happening. Thank you for the advice! I've never seen the goat milk replacer at my Walmart so I'll have to check. I don't know what D&B and Cal Ranch are, but we do have a Tractor Supply here and a few grocery stores that sell whole goats milk! I don't know what breed she is, but I'll definitely be taking pictures tomorrow! She's so sweet! :D

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Best chance of survival is to pull the kid and bottle feed (if the dam absolutely won't take care of it) If it's completely rejected you might want to bring it home with you to bottle feed and monitor and keep it warm.

The kid NEEDS colostrum ASAP. Do you have any goat people you could call? We always have colostrum stored & frozen. The real stuff is best- it's like liquid gold and means the life or death of the kids. You could get the powder- but it's less than ideal but better than nothing.

The really need colostrum within the first 6 hours. If the kid doesn't get any at all, chance of survival is slim.

You can transition them over to cows milk overtime. I like them on goats milk for at least a week, and if you have to- SLOWLY transition the kid to cows milk.

Get a bottle and nipple. The Pritchard (red/yellow) it the BEST when it comes to newborns.

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
NH Homesteader and Goat Whisperer thank you! I don't have any goat people at all, every person I know is a pig or chicken person! I will absolutely go to TSC tomorrow and check everything I can! Thank you for giving me guidelines on what to go on!

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you can't get the kid to take the pritchard nipple, I've had good luck with a regular baby bottle.

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi Sunny Searle! Unfortunately, milking the mom isn't possible, though it would have been my first choice! I spent about 30 minutes trying to get her but that just wasn't happening. Thank you for the advice! I've never seen the goat milk replacer at my Walmart so I'll have to check. I don't know what D&B and Cal Ranch are, but we do have a Tractor Supply here and a few grocery stores that sell whole goats milk! I don't know what breed she is, but I'll definitely be taking pictures tomorrow! She's so sweet! :D
Tractor Supply store is essentially the same type of store as CAL ranch and D&B. They are just farm supply stores.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
NH Homesteader and Goat Whisperer thank you! I don't have any goat people at all, every person I know is a pig or chicken person! I will absolutely go to TSC tomorrow and check everything I can! Thank you for giving me guidelines on what to go on!
Can you get anything tonight?
If you don't get colostrum within hours after they are born… you will most likely lose the kid :(