What/how to feed a rejected baby goat?

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thankfully, Mr. J said he's "taking care of all the post-birth work" but said if she needs to be fed, that's up to me to decide. I'll be going first thing in the morning and I'll look for colostrum them just in case Mr. J hasn't taken care of that!

Just want to say I sincerely appreciate everyone's advice here. I made this account just to talk to experienced homesteaders, I never expected to actually be seeking advice so quickly. I have NO farm experience other than raising chickens and riding horses, so thank you all for guiding me and bearing with me. I went from "maybe I'll learn a few good tips" to "oh my gosh I'm taking care of someone's farm with zero experience" in less than a week. Thank you everyone!

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Where is the baby now? If she has not eaten at all, chances are she will not survive until tomorrow morning, and if she does it's going to be a fight to save her. If you have whole milk in your fridge (or can go to a store and get some), you need to make sure the baby is warm, then warm up some milk and give it to her, a bottle is preferable, but use a syringe if you have to. Otherwise her only chance is if the mom fed her before abandoning her, but that seems unlikely.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure mom isn't coming to the baby when no one is around? Mom's leave their babies all the time at my place and stay away for hours at a time. (but usually not until the babies are a couple days old) Most of the time, lol, the babies stay right where mom left them.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure mom isn't coming to the baby when no one is around? Mom's leave their babies all the time at my place and stay away for hours at a time. (but usually not until the babies are a couple days old) Most of the time, lol, the babies stay right where mom left them.

I hope that is the case

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello everyone! The kid, Cookie, seems to be doing okay but a little hungry and seems weak, but I'm far from a goat expert so I could be wrong. I also found a second, younger kid today! They're so sweet. I just sent a message to the amazing Goat Whisperer for some advice on the situation. I found that the mother jumps the fence, lets the kid feed for a little less than a minute, then runs back away. One time she took her head and attempted to physically shove the lil baby out through the fence....I found her hiding under a dead tree out in the woods today. Depending on what Goat Whisperer advises me to do (I sent her the full, long, overly detailed story:D) I may end up bringing them home! I want to do what's actually best for the kids, not just what I think is best for them, so I don't want to act hastily considering I don't know much about goats.

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The little brown one, Cookie, definitely likes me more than the other! She wobbled over to see me when I went back to the stable for the last time, and if I sit down she lays next to me! Whenever I hold her she lays her little head against my chest and makes quiet little noises....Talk about melting my heart :love
16142254_1280609335332155_716130038388321661_n.jpg
BABIES.png

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Let us know what you decide to do. I think I would try to catch the mom and take her and the kids home with you. Do the kids belong to the same doe? They are cute cute cute cute !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
If there are kids being born now there is a good chance that you will see more. I would certainly scour the area every day.