What is a good temporary electrical fence?

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi again everyone!

We were hoping to find some good advice on purchasing temporary electrical fencing.

Here are our needs:

30'x100' areas
50'x50' areas
25'x75' areas

Temporary as in put the sheep there only for a day or two to "mow" that part of the ranch [I am tired of sit on mower and would like the sheep to do the work for me].

Looking for something that is super easy to set up and move on a bi-weekly basis.

Not even sure if it is possible. If it is not possible, then I must mow it using sit on mower once or twice a week.

Thanks,

Soar

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It would be quick and easy to set up if my land was level and no trees to get caught on as I drag it around, but really, it is good stuff. I have two rolls that we can connect together. I bought some of the step in fence posts and use those as additional post, but maybe that is because my ground isn't level and the I have to pull the fence tighter to take the sags out.

The other thing you could do that might be cheaper but more work is poly tape run on those step in posts. You could conceivably roll it up posts and all to move it.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
how hard is your soil in the Summer / Fall ? Those step in posts just may not be that easy to put in. You may have to set T posts and leave them in place while you move the electric wire fencing.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Many use and swear by the electric netting. The premier stuff is made by Premier. https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/fencing/electric-netting?gclid=CJj6oda5mNACFY9bfgodfuwNvg There are other brands that I believe are a little less expensive. Many buy multiple strands and run them consecutively to enclose the area they want the animals to concentrate on. I understand it's quick and easy to set up and move and quite effective.

Thank you LS. There sure are a lot of different types on that site. Do you have any recommendations for sheep?

It would be quick and easy to set up if my land was level and no trees to get caught on as I drag it around, but really, it is good stuff. I have two rolls that we can connect together. I bought some of the step in fence posts and use those as additional post, but maybe that is because my ground isn't level and the I have to pull the fence tighter to take the sags out.

The other thing you could do that might be cheaper but more work is poly tape run on those step in posts. You could conceivably roll it up posts and all to move it.

Thank you for sharing. May I ask which specific type you ordered and are using?

how hard is your soil in the Summer / Fall ? Those step in posts just may not be that easy to put in. You may have to set T posts and leave them in place while you move the electric wire fencing.

Boss,

We would only be using the netting during the rainy season, so the soil is soft clay then...

All the other areas are nearly complete using the woven wire. I believe we now have completed 7 of the 10 paddocks completed with the woven wire...