what is getting my goats?

storm1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
hi,
i have about 50 acres and around,now 15,goats.
we used to have a donkey and dogs for protection but not now.didn't seem to matter anyway.
about weekly,sometimes twice a week , a goat goes missing.there is no way the goat can leave the property.there are no signs of the goat.they are put up every night and then one evening ,one just doesn't come back.today we heard a goat hollering and new it sounded funny.by the time we got ready to check on it ,the sound stopped.went to where the sound was coming from and nothing.figured it was ok but one was missing tonight.there has never been any signs of goat remains,no hair, blood ,parts.nothing.no holes to get under the fence and no hair seen on the top of the fence.i have walked the entire place everytime and nothing.this makes 5 in the last month.all attacks happen during the day.
these are boar mixes(adult and babies missing) and i live in ga.

we are putting a penned goat out tomorrow and 2 trail cams just to see.

we have :
coyotes
foxes
bobcats
humans
bear or cougar??

thanks

HeidiO

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'd guess humans, do you live in an area where there is a road near the pasture? I think a trail cam would be the best idea. Hide it well though, in case it is people.

storm1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
thanks HeidiO,
i was thinking human just because of no remains.
we have no roads around the property except the front and that is where they are penned.nothing has happened there.the property is surrounded by large property on 3 sides by good neighbors.i know it is not them but not saying someone is not trespassing thru.my neighbors would take care of any trespassers seen.

i also have never had a problem with vultures looking for a kill either.the goats seem to just vanish.
wouldn't coyotes make noises?i have heard them at my other place at night but never have heard them here.

what do people take the goats for?to eat.money?kinda give me an idea of who to look for.

regardless, a predator is a predator.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
My guess is that it has to be something large enough to carry it off....human...cougar...bear. If you aren't finding any blood or sign of struggle, one would be led to believe it's human. Game cameras are your best bet. Good luck and have your local law enforcement on speed dial!

storm1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
whatever it is ,it is definately carrying it off.would a coyote do it?a cougar or bear would be a shock.
we do have them but they are usually down in the swamps,not near here.
i am leaning towards coyote or human.can a coyote leap and carry one over the fence?it is a cattle fence with barbed wire at the top and there are no big holes or areas under it anywhere.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never seen a coyote that's big enough to carry a goat over a fence, but I guess it's possible. I had a bobcat that was responsible for taking a kid over a fence - but this was a pygmy kid that was less than 10 lbs. Have a LGD now and no more losses.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first thing I thought was human :hide

Livestock theft is a big issue, a neighbor down the road had some of his boer goats stolen. The were breeding stock from ennobled lines.

Typically when someone steals your goats its for the meat. Sorry :(

Get that camera running! Try to keep it hidden too.

HeidiO

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think you would find blood or something if it was an animal taking them.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even a human getting a full grown goat over a fence is a job, especially if barbed wire on the top, unless of course there is a gate. But why only take one at a time...take two or three if it is that easy. And the fact that a goat was screaming makes me think 4 legged predators. Coyotes are going to climb the fence or go under, you would see evidence of that. Cougars on the other hand just hop over the fence like it isn't there and the goat will be taken too. They make a clean quick kill and you may not see anything. Bears would go THROUGH the fence, you would know if they were there. Bobcats aren't usually a problem for full sized goats, but it is possible.

storm1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
thanks guys,
we have the pen ready.getting 2 cameras ready and getting things up this afternoon..
will share the pics with ya'll.

Latest posts