what is my chickens breed

Phage

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Looks like a roo if it is only 7 weeks old.
Also not the right shape to be a cochin.

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I new it wasn't a Cochin I got a Cochin with him that I know is a rooster that he is very protective of

aart

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My cousin who is more used to chickens says to look at it's feet, if it has a spur started then it's a roo and if no spur then it's a hen
All chicken have spur buds...so no good for determining gender on chicks.
Males don't start really growing out the spurs until at least sexual maturity(4-5 months),
they don't get significantly larger than a pullets until older than that.

wynn4578

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Your cousin is wrong hens can have spur buds as well. BTW it's a Silver Campine Rooster. interesting breed. They come in silver and gold. If you mix silver with gold you get a sex-link.

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@wynn4578 thank you for the info I think it is a beautiful bird. And very friendly wanted to get a mate for him might go for a gold..:thumbsup

wynn4578

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No problem. I had some silver campines for awhile. They can be a little flighty but otherwise a really fun breed. I could be wrong but I think they are also the only chicken that the hen and the rooster feather out exactly the same. That being said I would wait until I was positive if it were hen or roo. They can look identical until they are almost fully mature.