What is my horse worth

taylorm17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am not selling him, but he is a great horse. He canters both ways and does flying lead changes. He has a very smooth walk, trot, and canter. He is a western and English at both speeds. He has about 10 different trot speeds. He backs, trailers, ground ties. He follows me. I trained him myself and I am 14. He isn't mean when he eats. He is used for lower level and upper level lessons. He is a white and brown paint quarter. He turns with no reins. I also do dressage. He does showmanship back, trot, walk, and set on vocal command. I can walk, trot, and canter bareback. I can walk trot and canter him while HE is blindfolded. He walks on a bridge. I can jump onto him bareback with no problem and he lets me stand on him. I can trot and change the way I am sitting (side to front toe other side) while at a trot. He is nice stocky and great confirmation. He bathes well , hand grazes, ponies, a medium pecking order horse. He is just great in general. I have shown him for 2 years. I just want to see how much he is worth and how I can make him even better to make it to state fair. Thank you very much!!!:bun

BrayJunction

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I know nothing about the monetary value of horses but it sounds like you have invested a lot of time and energy into your horse and you should be proud of all your accomplishments. I can't imagine you'd have any problem getting to the state fair! Keep up the good work! :clap

PaintedPrettyFarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello,
Wow is what I have to say. We raised and showed Arabs for 25 years. To have a horse trained like that is very hard to find. The value is only what someone is willing to pay and what you would be willing to accept. Keeping your horse is worth far more than what you can sell for. Certainly does sound amazing. And if you have done the training, you have a future in training.

Good Day

taylorm17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you very much! I got him as a 5 year old and was VERY green. I have worked with him for 2 years 6 days a week. Thank you very much for all of the nice compliments!:)

w c

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The truth is the marketplace doesn't always value good training as much as it should. If your horse has registration papers, that will add to his value. And at 7, he isn't old enough to lose value due to age. If he has already shown in recognized shows and has a record of doing well in a variety of classes that will add to his value too.

In all honesty a horse that is very well trained, 7, sound, and ready to go to shows should be worth at least 5 grand, more if he is registered and has a record in recognized shows.

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Equine pricing varies great by area. In my area he would go for about $2500 to $3500 personal sale, maaaybe $500 at auction.

OTTBmom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I agree he sounds priceless!

Price has way more to do with your area and target market than anything else, other than perhaps marketing and presentation. A well broke, kid safe horse for the back five acres is generally worth $1000-1500. That same horse, if it has a cute head and is the right size, can go to a hunter jumper show, do well, and bring in $5000 easy, maybe $10,000 plus, just depending on various factors. Registration papers generally add value, though in the English world, people only care about QH papers if you're showing AQHA. If he's over pony size, you'd be hard pressed in the English world is going to pay much for him since he's a paint, but it wouldn't count against him in the western world. Ribbons and experience significantly add to a horse's value as well.

Hope that gives you a little bit of an idea :)

poundinghooves

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'd say $2,500+ depending on the area and current horse economy.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you have made yourself a priceless best friend.